Saturday 30 July 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Day/Date' Calibre 16 Chronograph

 
CBN2A1AA.BA0643

In an age where we are constantly bombarded by new and exciting pieces, perhaps it's no great surprise that watches like this (which are perfectly nice in their own right) sneak onto the TAG Heuer website unannounced. I guess the fact is there isn't really too much to say about this watch as for the most part it carries over much of the design aesthetic from the previous model. Now based on the Carrera Sports case the size has increased by 1mm (to 44mm) and the typeface used for the 'minute' markers look a little more modern perhaps, but by and large it's a case of as you were.

But then again perhaps that's a bit harsh, it does now feature a ceramic bezel and the pushers and crown are a bit nicer than they were before but once again, purists will complain that these models aren't really Carreras with their stubby lugs and thick case. Of course these people probably wouldn't have bought the 43mm predecessor either, so their opinion is probably not that relevant...

CBN2A1AA.FT6228

Unusually for this particular range TAG Heuer have decided to offer the watch on a rubber rather than leather strap as an alternative to the bracelet. I must admit my first reaction to it was rather 'Eh, no, whuut?' but I must admit I am slowly starting to come round to the idea and I'm looking forward to seeing this in the flesh to see whether it works for me or not. I will say that on first impression it looks a bit 'cheap', something that perhaps could have been avoided with the use of a bespoke 'fitted' strap which filled the space between the lugs (think of TAG Heuer's Aquaracer range).

But maybe, the use of this perforated rubber strap will help to give this range a slightly more modern feel, which is perhaps a good thing as these Calibre 16 day/dates have always slightly felt like they operate in a no man's land where they can't quite decide if they are supposed to be modern or not. One thing I do like about them is the continued use of the Calibre 16 movement which features my preferred 6/9/12 dial layout (as per the Heuer 01).





CBN2A1AA.BA0643 (Bracelet): 5.5/10

CBN2A1AA.FT6228 (Rubber Strap): 5.5/10


8/10: "There is nothing wrong with it in my eyes, a lovely watch it's just not very exciting."

2/10: "I honestly couldn't tell you this was a new model or one from a few years ago. I've always like this modern design of the Carrera. But 44mm seriously? What an absolute travesty. Also, they've butchered the classic Carrera case and lugs."

6/10: "I think this will look better in the metal. However they should bring the anthracite dial back."

2/10: "Not for me at all, too big, dislike the timescale and 6,9,12 chrono."

7/10: "I much prefer this watch on a bracelet. That said nothing wrong with the strap in my opinion, just preference."

5/10: "Better on the bracelet (almost always my choice if possible) bit big though, just something looks wrong."

5/10: "Nothing wrong with it, nothing much new about it either. Just very minor aesthetics and an increase in size, which isn't a good thing as far as I'm concerned."

7/10: "I fail to see what's so new about it since I am not really into it anymore. Still an acceptable day date design I guess for people who want things to stay the same over these years. I think they should decrease the size instead of increase it to be honest."

7/10: "Not sure if I like the new or the old numerals best, both version be looking fine."

7/10: "I like the subdials better than in the previous model. All in all it's a bit too much going on on the dial for my taste. The lugs are too wide, why did they do this? The black ceramic looks better with the rubberstrap. Price is crazy for a Cal. 16, isn't it?"

6/10: "This new models at 44mm are too big and the bezel is all wrong. I also wouldn't buy a Calibre 16 given my collection of 1887s."

8/10: "Nice watch, although I don't think it’s any better than previous CV2A1R."


No comments:

Post a Comment