Friday 15 July 2022

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Quartz Ladies Watch

 
WBP1450.BA0622

TAG Heuer Boutique / Meadowhall, Sheffield, 18th June 2022

This came as a pleasant surprise for my wife as we visited the TAG Heuer Meadowhall boutique just a couple of days after the watch appeared on the TAG Heuer website. She had already tried on the fumé dial version a few weeks ago and so it was interesting to see a slightly different version of the same watch, albeit both watches of course have the diamond hour markers. 

A lot of guys who talk about watches bitch about diamonds, and while I am sure there are some ladies who don't like diamonds on their watches (or Mother of Pearl come to that) there has to be a reason why watch companies persist in producing them ad nauseum. Or maybe it's that women buy them because that's all they get given? I don't know.... but I've never heard my wife ask if they make a watch without the diamonds. 


So anyway, since my wife is sitting next to me as I'm typing this, let's ask her what she thought of this one:

"Well, as you know, generally speaking I'm not a big fan of mother-of-pearl, but this is perhaps the nicest white 'MOP' dial watch I've seen and that's largely down to the subtle, complementary use of rose gold around the diamond hour markers and on the hands. I also really like the rose gold crown, but the gold on the bezel was a bit too subtle really, in fact I had forgotten that it was even there until you showed me the photo again. To be honest though, even though I liked it I wouldn't buy it, but if they made a version with a black mother-of-pearl dial I would definitely be interested to see that one.

Well there you have it. I have to say she also baulked at the £2400 price tag, asking 'how much gold is there actually on the watch, really?'. Which is a fair point. Sure the crown is (presumably) solid gold - though it doesn't say as much on the website, so maybe not... but even if it is it's tiny, maybe 4mm or so? Overall it seems to me that while this one is quite attractive, the fumé dial version (in blue or black) with the automatic movement represents a better investment for only £400 more.


Link to the WBP1450.BA0622 on the TAG Heuer website:

No comments:

Post a Comment