Saturday 5 November 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Ladies Automatic Watches

 
WBN2414.BA0621                                      WBN2450.BD0569

Okay, I get it.... these aren't the most exciting watches you've ever seen. And you would be forgiven for thinking that surely TAG Heuer already had a diamond bezel, mother of pearl, diamond hour marker ladies Carrera in the range, and they surely have in the past. But just like the Calibre 16 Carreras issued earlier this year, the brand does update old models as and when it sees fit. Obviously it doesn't shout about watches like this because there isn't much to shout about, they are pretty much like for like save for small design details and to be honest most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference.

WBN2414.BA0621

But that's not to say these aren't important releases for the brand. These kind of watches are the backbone of the ladies collection, destined for jewellers all over the world, where I'm sure they sell very nicely thank you very much. So no, you won't see them featured on Hodinkee or A Blog to Watch, they will just slip quietly onto the TAG Heuer website, unseen and largely ignored until they catch someone's eye.

Still, in the interests of research I showed them to my wife and she (like most people I imagine) missed the point, dismissing them as boring and unimaginative. But then my wife has quite a varied collection of watches herself and is way past being impressed with what we could rather unfairly describe as 'base models'.

Taken on their own merits though I think these two are rather attractive. I will say I'm not overly fussed about plain mother of pearl dials (I do like black mother of pearl though, that's very cool) but as part of the overall package on these watches it works nicely enough.

WBN2450.BD0569

I slightly prefer the diamond bezel version over the two tone one if I'm honest, and it's surprising how different the watches look considering how much they have in common. Both are powered by a Calibre 9 automatic movement, measure 29mm in diameter and come supplied on bracelets (though I'm sure in time the diamond bezel model at least will be offered on a selection of different straps). 

Ultimately the guys on the THF Forum love to moan about ladies watches with mother of pearl dials and diamond bezels, but I'm sure TAG Heuer would say they make what sells and these are tried and trusted configurations. I will say though that the ladies range is looking a little bit unloved at the moment and could definitely do with some inspiration sprinkling on it. The only real option for the slightly more adventurous lady is the fumé dial Aquaracers which are very nice or the pink/teal Aquaracers but at 36mm not every lady is going to want those on their wrist and not every lady wants an automatic movement either.

As expected there was very little interest in these from the C.O.C.O. council, but I did get ten scores back which averaged out to some very respectable points!




WBN2450.BD0569 (Two Tone): 6.5/10

WBN2414.BA0621 (Diamond): 6.6/10


"Both are elegant, yet versatile, pieces for the ladies. While some may prefer more colorful options (and perhaps no mother of pearl and/or no diamonds), these have a timeless quality."

"One can never go wrong with diamonds or two-tone, very nice. The two tone I give a 7, the diamond bezel one gets an 8."

"Asked the gaffer, look alright but dated, faces are the spoilers for her, two better but could much better. 2/10 and 3/10 for 2 tone."

"Both of them look nice. I'd give them a 7.5/10."

"6/10, I wouldn’t have guessed these were new if you hadn’t said. Both are a touch too blingy to buy my wife, if the gold wasn’t gold or the diamond bezel wasn’t diamond I’d be more interested."

"They look like they've been in the catalogue for years - very uninspired. I'm afraid I absolutely detest mother of pearl dials. I don't believe it's what a lot of women want from a watch either these days. I also don't like diamond bezels or hour markers, so these two are going to get very low scores from me."

"As always, I asked my wife to do the honours. I have no motivation to rate ladies watches, nor do I feel qualified to represent the fairer sex. 9/10 - Silver with diamond surround, 7/10 - Silver & Gold."

"I usually base my score on whether I buy the watch or not, and I think when it's not fair to make that judgment on a ladies' item. For this reason, this time we will evaluate the product while predicting whether it will sell or not. 7/10 - Silver with diamond surround, 4/10 - Silver & Gold."

"I'm ignoring them. Any score I might give them would be meaningless and without any logic."

"5/10. Still pandering to what 'they' Swiss watches manufactures want for women watches. Also unless you told me I wouldn't have known they are new."

No comments:

Post a Comment