Saturday 26 November 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Elegant 'Watches of Switzerland Exclusive' L/E Chronograph

 
CBN2018.BA0642                                    CBN2018.FC6520

For as long as I can remember, the THF Forum has been absolutely crying out for a Heritage Carrera with a panda dial... and while this isn't quite that just yet, it does offer the best option we've seen for some time and as such this model has jumped to the head of the queue when it comes to discussing the C.O.C.O. Watch of the Year. 

And there was me thinking the gold panda had it in the bag - at least until I realised I had made a mistake with the scoring and it dropped from an 8.8 to 7.8! 

Actually, let's be fully transparent; I didn't realise I had made a mistake, one of the C.O.C.O. members questioned the score based on the scores included in the comments on that post. And while I explained that not every scorer leaves a comment so that isn't the full score sheet (my score isn't quoted either incidentally) it did make me question myself and so I got out of bed (at 1AM! Seriously!) and went and checked my calculations. 

Going forward I am thinking of including the full scores so everyone can check that I'm not diddling it to please myself, but it's tricky because some C.O.C.O. members are a bit slow delivering their scores and I often have to go back and amend the results a few days later.

Anyway, let's get on to the watch...


As soon as I saw this I knew this was going to be a big hit with the forum, and I must admit I do like it myself, if not quite as much as they do! The only thing that perturbed me slightly was that in one of the photographs on the Watches of Switzerland website the dial looked a bit of a strange colour and checking the spec I saw it was officially listed as 'beige'. Yes, beige. Not a colour you hear bandied about often admittedly, and hardly at the top of anyone's 'desirable dial colours list' I shouldn't have thought.

However, Maxine at TAG Heuer Sheffield, who very kindly sent me the picture above, reassured me that it definitely looks more like cream than beige, which is a bit of a relief. No one wants a properly beige panda after all. 


Otherwise the watch is the familiar 42mm Carrera Elegant we've known for a couple of years, with the Heuer 02 movement sporting 80 hours of power reserve (as mentioned prominently on the dial). From my experience that 42mm case wears smaller than the measurement suggests, so don't be put off by that without giving it a chance if you haven't already tried one in person. 

Priced at £5250 on the racing strap and £5350 on the bracelet, the only real fly in the ointment here is that there are only 250 pcs available; 125 on a strap and 125 on a bracelet (only half of which are coming to the UK incidentally). So if you're seriously thinking about this one you probably shouldn't delay too long... and if you live in the North of England maybe give Maxine a call and tell her Rob sent you!

TAG Heuer Boutique, Sheffield (Maxine) 0114 256 9346

So, as I said, the THF Forum and the C.O.C.O. as a whole got very excited about this release, let's hear from them now...




CBN2018.BA0642 (Bracelet): 7.9/10
CBN2018.FC6520 (Strap): 8.2/10


"The more I see this watch, the more I like it. It's quite lovely! The 'off white' dial is a nice choice softening and warming slightly the look. I love the bracelet and would probably buy it on this but for me it looks so lovely on the strap!Bracelet 8/10. Strap 8.5/10.

"Glad to see a proper strap for a Chronograph Carrera! It would be probably one more point each if it were a reverse panda..." Bracelet 7/10. Strap 8/10.

"Oh boy, I like this one. I will be conflicted between this and the gold one as my WOTY." Bracelet 9/10. Strap 9/10.

"At long last, a classic racing panda dial layout with the modern Heuer 02 in-house movement. I love the off-white/cream colored dial, even if it's listed as beige. I can find no fault with this Carrera, other than why did it take TAG Heuer so long and why must it be such a small numbered LE? Nevertheless, I feel TAG Heuer finally delivered on this one, well done!" Bracelet 9.5/10. Strap 10/10.

"Love this Carrera Panda." Bracelet 9/10. Strap 9/10. 

"Would have been a perfect 10 without the running seconds. Looks amazing." Bracelet 9/10. Strap 9/10.

"Wow, there are still more releases. My impression of Carrera this time is very good. The leather strap and the somewhat antique look are a great match." Bracelet 7/10. Strap 9/10.

"Beige? Looks off white to me. Cost may affect scores btw." Bracelet 7/10. Strap 6/10.

"I recently have a thing for white dials." Bracelet 9/10. Strap 9/10.

"There it is. The Panda so many were waiting for. The 'panda' style Logo is a nice detail. Black strap is a much better match." Bracelet 10/10. Strap 8/10.

"I like this a lot. This would be a great watch to be part of the regular catalogue." Bracelet 8/10. Strap 8/10.

"This is a fantastic looking Carrera and I agree that this should be a part of the regular catalogue. It is a shame that it is limited to 125 pieces in each version." Bracelet 8/10. Strap 8/10.

"Ohhh I like that, would love to see and try it on." Bracelet 8/10. Strap 8/10.

"Would have scored a 10 but lost 1 point for the beige face and not going for pure white and 1 point deducted for that gastly overused running seconds." Bracelet 8/10. Strap 8/10.

"Best 42mm Carrera so far and best TAG Heuer of the year for me. Invokes the spirit of the original. Leave it to an outside party to design a watch like this. Pusher design, thick case, noisy rotor and running seconds are flaws I'd gladly live with. They did away with the croc straps thank goodness. I'd still choose the bracelet and buy a fancy strap from Two Stitch or GLC." Bracelet 8/10. Strap 8/10.

"I actually like the cream dial." Bracelet 9/10. Strap 9/10.



No comments:

Post a Comment