Tuesday 29 November 2022

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Two Tone/Blue Dial Calibre 5 Watch

 
WBD2120.BB0930

TAG Heuer Boutique / Meadowhall, Sheffield, 18th June 2022 

It's a fact that you can never really judge any watch from pictures or video alone and I have lost count of the number of watches that I have changed my opinion of (either for the better or worse) on actual physical acquaintance. If only we all had access to all the watches our favourite brands released rather than a select few over and above the run of the mill models found in shop windows.

And if you live in a third world country like, oooh... Sweden, yes I appreciate that living in the UK we are actually pretty lucky with what we can get our hands on! :)


I remember when I first clapped eyes on the WBD2120, and my first impression was not good. I had high hopes when I saw the rendered images on the TAG Heuer website, but in person it was a hard no from me. However, repeated meetings have softened my stance towards it. I think the main issue for me was the noticeable matt effect on the majority of the bezel, which I've come to realize is probably a very sensible compromise (and actually not unattractive, once you get used to it). 


See, I have a 2000 Exclusive with a gold bezel and boy does that thing show the scratches easily. So maybe accepting a less blingy bezel in the first instance might actually pay dividends in the long run And anyway... if the thought of a scratch-free gold bezel genuinely fills you with horror, rest assured those over-riders are still polished and they are going to get scratched up the first time you put your hands in your pocket.


Sure, the combination of a strong 'regal' blue dial with a yellow gold bezel (matt or otherwise) probably isn't going to be for everyone. Let's be honest, it's in your face. To the MAX. But, I dunno... if you're going to have a watch like this I feel like you probably want it to get noticed. With that in mind, if you are concerned that this watch is only 41mm and you usually prefer a 43mm Aquaracer, rest assured this is quite big enough, a 43mm would be overkill!


So yeah, I've definitely warmed up to this one, though not enough to consider purchasing it myself. As you can see this post has been kicking around in my draft folder for several months, waiting for the day when I'm desperate for a post... which turns out to be today. This model has since been discontinued but it may still be available in stores. I expect there will be a new two-tone Aquaracer along soon so you may wish to wait and see what that looks like anyway...


PREVIOUS 'ON THE WRIST' POST FROM AUGUST 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment