Monday 28 August 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Aquaracer 'Solargraph' Blue Dial Quartz Watch

 
WBP1113.BA0000

If you're thinking that there's nothing particularly different about this blue dial version of TAG Heuer's solar powered 'Solargraph' Aquaracer, you'd be right; it's literally the same as the black dial steel version released a few months ago. Yet the render caused a few ripples of excitment, suggesting as it does a sexy 'metallic' blue dial, always a winner with a three hand Aquaracer.

Alas, seeing this in the flesh was something of a disappointment. The blue is not 'metallic' at all, indeed it's very flat and I wonder if this is a limitation imposed by the solar panel dial? It's a shame really because this render looks great - if only the watch actually looked the same. I thought the solar panel was underneath the dial and the 'gaps' in the dial were for the light to get to the panel, but maybe I have misunderstood?


Interestingly, this render from the Banks Lyon website looks a lot closer to what I saw with my own eyes. I'm just confused as to why there would be two different renders? And while we're on the subject why can't the internet provide me with any actual photographs of the WBP1113? Weird. 

Thankfully, since I wrote this post COCO member BP Smith posted a photo in the THF Forum, which is a lot better than the photo I was going to show you (which I took through the window of a jewellers in Shrewsbury a couple of weeks ago). 

Photo - BPSmith

I'm still not sure about that pale blue second hand, it looks even more out of place here than it does on the black dial variant. I get the concept that all the Solargraphs have this feature to distinguish them from the cheaper and more commonplace quartz watches, but - like the glossy red hands on my Senna Formula 1 - it does come across looking a bit 'plastic'. It's also a bit limiting, I mean it's going to look rubbish on a red, yellow, green or orange dial isn't it?

Still, I am but one voice, let's find out what the rest of the Council of Considered Opinion have to say about this one...



4/10: "Pretty similar in design to the 40mm steel blue 200. I suppose this is just to give people the option for a quartz then."

7.5/10: "If the blue dial looks anything like the renders, this one should look great. I like that they are using the same pale blue seconds hand across the Solargraph line."

8/10: "Looks like my beloved WAY2012."

7/10: "Wow. I haven't even seen a steel solargraph the other day, and it's amazing how blue it is. Japanese dealers still deny the existence of steel solargraphs!"

8.5/10: "I really like this one in fairness. Unsure on the second hand colour choice alongside the vivid royal blue dial, but otherwise very nice."

8/10: "Blue is not my color but this one looks neat."

6/10: "Missed blue opportunity, just imagine if the watch looked like the renders."

8/10: "Looks great, the second hand is a nice compliment to the dial."

6.5/10: "Yes to that blue dial, it's gorgeous. No to the solargraph movement at that price, and that baby blue second hand. Definitely the best Solargraph yet, though."

7/10: "Same score as for the steel Solargraph with black dial, which I like the same."

4/10: "I was waiting to see a live pic before scoring. But your picture isn't flattering at all. The dial looks kind of plastic, no depth or visual pop. If this is what it really looks like, my score would be 4/10. But I'd like to give it the benefit of doubt. If there are better live pictures of it, my score would certainly go up."

6/10: "I like the watch in itself however, it's the dial here that is the appeal. Having seen a photo of the real thing it's sadly not as impressive as it could have been. It's a good effort but sadly lacking."

1 comment:

  1. https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/just-got-the-steel-solargraph.5516310/

    ReplyDelete