Saturday 17 December 2016

ON THE WRIST: Carrera Chronograph Calibre 1887

CAR2110.FC6266

Goldsmiths / Leicester 17th Dec 2016

Ah, my 'favourite' watch retailers, Goldsmiths in Leicester. While I very much doubt I will ever buy a watch from them, I might as well use them to try watches on now and again, and the young lad in there did seem to know a bit more than Captain Clownshoes who served me last time. Compare and contrast with Tarrats in Market Street (sadly not a TAG Heuer agent) who were fantastic this morning when we went in there to enquire about purchasing a 'Tudor Clair de Rose'.

Anyway, enough bitching. This Carrera was one of the better items they had in their cabinet today and so I gave it a few minutes on the wrist. Priced at £3400, this watch is quite classy and understated (wot no orange ring on the crown - booo) which is more than can be said for me. At 41mm it actually feels a bit small, and it's rather thick with it. I do like the design but maybe a 43mm would be more 'me'. It wasn't as if I was wearing my Heuer 01 this morning either.

As you would expect, there is a clear display back which shows off the Calibre 1887 movement. I'm struck again by the 'silverness*' of this movement, I got the same impression in London when I tried on the pre-owned CAR2A10 in Watches of Switzerland (Oxford Street) last month. This particular CAR2110 comes on a leather strap (actually I just visited the wonderful new TAG website to get some more information but despite the picture clearly showing a leather strap, it claims it has a 'fine brushedl (sic) and polished steel) which is fitted with a polished metal deployment clasp. The clasp looked pretty marked actually and if I was to be one of these I would certainly be asking for a new one from out the back thank you very much!

If I was the kind of guy who wore a suit everyday, then this would be something I might consider, but would probably pass over in favour of something a little less 'bland'. It's definitely a bit on the small side for my 7" wrist and perhaps another couple of millimeters on the diameter would have helped when it came to the thickness of the case as well.

On balance, if I had to buy one of the two watches I tried on this morning, I think I would have to go with the pre-owned 4000 Series, as it would be a good everyday beater and it wouldn't empty my bank account. But this is still a nice watch, just not for me. At least not yet, maybe in another fifteen years...

*(Hard to explain, it all looks very silver, very uniform. Actually it looks a lot like aluminium)

No comments:

Post a Comment