Tuesday 13 December 2016

ON THE WRIST: Formula One Calibre 16 Chronograph

CAZ2011.FT8024

Beaverbrooks / Sheffield 26th November 2016

Priced at £2300, this is one of the more expensive watches in the 'Formula One' range. I got to try it on in Beaverbrooks on my recent visit to Sheffield and surprisingly it's not as 'chunky' as it appears. I don't know what it is about this design but it looks like it's going to be heavy and thick, which I don't mind - I have an Aquagraph after all. But it doesn't really feel like that once it's on the wrist. I can't get a case thickness measurement, but the bezel is 44mm.

I was wearing my Heuer 01 when I tried this on so that probably helped, perhaps if I had been wearing my Kirium my impression would be slightly different. I have to say though, it didn't really hold my attention for very long and I soon got to asking the lady serving me if it was possible to order the CAU2012.FT6038 which is quite similar to this but with the orange chapter ring and subdials. Sadly not, it seems I have dithered to long on that one. I have found one for sale (new) but it's a long way away and I'm not convinced enough to buy it without trying it on first.

As for this one, it seems a little dull somehow. £2300 is a good chunk of cash for a watch, and this doesn't seem to warrant the outlay. One thing I do remember about it is that the strap is seriously thick, I mean it's the thickest TAG strap I've ever tried and it feels a bit cheap and clumsy if I'm honest. Maybe it would be okay on someone with a really thick wrist but to me it felt a bit too bulky. 

I'm glad I tried it, because I do rather like black watches, but I don't think I'll be adding this one to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment