Saturday 28 January 2017

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Autavia Heuer 02 Chronograph

CBE2110.FC8226                         CBE2110.BA0867

Before I begin, apologies for the lack of posts this week, I've been working on something with a friend and it's taking a little while to come together. Hopefully we can get it done and it will be posted here soon. Anyway, without further ado...

This is a re-written review of the new Autavia since I was unhappy with it (and I wasn't the only one - apparently).
--- --- --- --- ---

Without a doubt the Heuer Autavia is one of the most hotly anticipated watches of 2017 and no doubt it will garner lavish praise from all corners for it's retro looks, 60's style and general awesomeness. But you know what, I think it's a huge disappointment.

When the Autavia was first announced I imagined a modern interpretation of the watch, along the lines of the Monza 40th Anniversary. At the time I didn't actually know that the Autavia had resurfaced about a decade ago (very briefly) and when I saw it I loved the dial (but hated the case), so when I learned that the new Autavia would come in a round case I was quite intrigued.

One of the three '2006' Autavia Models

Sadly the new Autavia dial shares little with the 2006 re-issue, which from my point of view is a shame, although I believe there are some special versions coming out later on which might be a little more alluring.

Admittedly I haven't actually seen one in the flesh, but that watch looks all kind of dull to me. The bezel just looks really wrong somehow, I don't know if it's because the numbers are too big and basic looking, or whether it's missing the Submariner style markings between the twelve and three... but whatever it is it doesn't work for me. The dial is unexciting, but not actively irritating. It's a black 3-6-9 dial with silver sub dials, fairly standard stuff... but that bezel.

Maybe the 42mm dia is too big for a watch of this style, after all if everything was a bit smaller the bezel would be thinner and the numbers smaller. Maybe it would help, maybe not, but as it is it's really rubbing me up the wrong way.

While the Autavia comes with a black aluminium (not modern ceramic as was expected) bezel, the watch does come fitted with the latest in-house Heuer 02 movement (and a glass caseback to show it off), which I'm not sure anyone really expected.

I know there's great excitement about the grains of rice bracelet on the forums, but again, it does nothing for me. The tan strap is almost as ghastly as the bezel, maybe a retro-style rubber strap would work (one of those with the big oblong holes in, I don't know what they are called)... obviously a modern rubber strap would look a bit silly, or maybe just a perforated black leather strap would look better?

Retro Rubber Strap

Okay, let's stop for a minute and take stock. This watch plainly isn't for me, but there are plenty of other retro TAGs and Heuers that aren't for me either that I can still appreciate for their aesthetics. For example the CV5111.FC6335 below.


Even though its not aimed at me and even though I'm never going to buy one, I can still look at this and appreciate it's class and beautiful dial.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Autavia doesn't seem to bring anything exciting to the table. It's not a cheap watch and yet it doesn't look like a luxury item. Price is expected to be £4000 or thereabouts... which I guess is fair considering the movement inside the watch. Even so, at that price I'd take the Monza 40th Anniversary without a second's hesitation. And that for me is the rub, the Monza is such a cool watch that this has completely failed to match up to it and yet it costs the same money.

There may be a buzz about the Autavia but is this (launch) model going to set pulses racing enough to tempt people to part with their money? I'm not so sure it will.

That said, having just had a quick scan of eBay, original Heuer Autavias demand almost as much, so maybe if you don't want the hassle of a period watch and all the potential pitfalls and problems that it can bring (especially if you don't know what you're getting into) then maybe this will prove a hit after all?

Even so, I still think they could do with a more exciting 'Special Edition' asap.


READ MORE ABOUT THE HEUER AUTAVIA HERE ON CALIBRE 11
http://www.calibre11.com/first-look-2017-tag-heuer-autavia-heuer-02-chronograph/

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost as dull as your awful reviews you MORON

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bit harsh, the Autavia isn't THAT bad!

      Delete
    2. Some friendly advice-leave the reviews to@calibre11

      Delete
    3. Humourless prick! Keep up the good work T.H.E.
      TonyG

      Delete
    4. You can't really call someone a moron and then offer them friendly advice...

      Delete