Sunday 15 January 2017

SPOTLIGHT ON: 2000 Professional Quartz Watch

972.606

As we've just had a look at a couple of watches that are bang up to date, I thought I'd do a post about something that dates back right to the beginning of TAG Heuer. Indeed this watch is featured in the 1987 catalogue and is one of the better looking watches of the time.

Like everything (with the possible exception of the 'Retro' Chronograph range, as it doesn't state either way) in the 1987 catalogue, this is a quartz movement watch and a very handsome chap it is too. I really do like the combination of that rather refined blue bezel, the gold markings and the black dial. It has a slightly regal look about it, though I understand that over the years these bezels do fade, which is rather a shame. Retro fans rather like it because it gives it 'patina' and all but guarantess authenticity, but to me the draw is the blue and if it's faded to almost a silver colour, well, there's countless silver watches on the market I could buy.


Size is hard to pin down. I can't find a definitive answer, but I've seen it lasted as both 42mm and 40mm including the crown, which would make it something like 37/38mm I'm guessing. A little on the small size for me unfortunately. A shame, as I like a few of the watches from this era, especially some of the 1500 series and these come from an age when watches were built smaller.

From what I've seen you can expect to pay somewhere between £250-350 on the second hand market.

There you go, I managed to get through a whole post without mentioning a rubber strap!


You can view many of the TAG Heuer catalogues on Calibre 11

No comments:

Post a Comment