Wednesday 4 January 2017

ON THE WRIST: Monaco Chronograph 'Full Black' ACM Special Edition


CAW211M.FC6324

TAG Boutique / Bicester 16th July 2016

I believe this was my first experience of trying on a 'standard' Monaco (as opposed to the Monaco 24) and it wasn't entirely satisfactory. I think the problem lies in the uniqueness of the square case, and and in particular when the case is black it looks a little bit odd on the wrist. The Monaco 24 has more angles and the glass being beveled at the edges helps break up the 'flatness' of the design.

I remember my impression when I was in the shop was how the square case really doesn't flow with the wrist the way most watches do, and the black case accentuates this because it doesn't take any reflections or anything to soften it.

It's a shame, because off the wrist I really like the look of it, perhaps it just takes a while to get used to. Unfortunately I don't really have the funds to buy it and try it, though if I remember correctly this was a reasonable price in the outlet. Since I tried this one on I have tried a steel cased Monaco (reviewed HERE) and I didn't have the same issues with it, so I don't know whether that's because of the steel case or because I've just got a bit more used to the look.

It's leaving me in a bit of a quandary really, because I feel like I do want a Monaco in my collection at some point, and I'm not sure I am going to be able to stretch to a '24' (even at outlet prices). I don't really do 'retro' styling so I'm going to want something a bit sporty, which either means a black case or red stitching or something. I suspect I will end up buying another Carrera instead, but we'll see.

http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-monaco-black-pvd-acm-calibre-12/

No comments:

Post a Comment