Saturday 9 February 2019

BUYING EXPERIENCE: International Wrist Watch Magazine No15 (1992)


As a self-confessed TAG Heuer fanboy I was always going to struggle to pass this one by and luckily I found it at a very reasonable price - total including postage was less than £6, and in incredible condition for a 27 year old magazine! Admittedly there's not really as much TAG Heuer in here as I was hoping, the article covers just six pages, but still... well worth the money and it's not like I can't read the rest of the magazine is it?

It's actually quite interesting to read what was going on back in 1992, for example there's an article about a Seiko 1/100th of a second quartz chronograph and all through the magazine there's little things that pique my interest, like a photograph of the first 'Basle' watch fair in 1972 and an article about the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar (£15,000 in steel, £25,000 in gold in 1992) which came with a VHS cassette as a instruction manual. How cool is that?




The history of TAG Heuer in just six pages...


This piece was in the news section at the front of the magazine. Can't help but be reminded of those Ellesse watches when I see these straps... (apologies for the reflection on the page).


Also, a 1992 Zenith El Primero, which looks an awfully lot like the TAG Heuer 'Executive' range, don't you think?


An advert for a different Zenith which looks for all the world to me like the worst kind of TAG Heuer S/EL eBay fake!


Finally, inside the front cover there's an advert for this rather lovely looking Hublot, which looks a lot simpler than the modern ones, and with a Rolex Daytonaesque bezel too boot, but I bet it's a bit on the small side for modern wrists.

I think I shall definitely pick up some more copies of this, there seems to be plenty of them on eBay for about £5-6 and it makes the quarterly wait for QP a bit more bearable, plus it broadens my historical knowledge of wristwatches at the same time, which can only be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment