Thursday 7 February 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Carbon Collection Rose Gold Calibre 5

WBD218A.FC6445

TAG Heuer Boutique / Sheffield, 26th January 2019

I've already made my feelings pretty clear on the carbon collection Aquaracers, but until today I hadn't actually had one on my wrist and so given the opportunity I decided to approach it with an open mind and see what transpired.

On the whole the watch is nice enough, I'm not crazy about the straps these come on and never have been on the other Aquaracers I've tried... The watch is quite light as while the case is not carbon it is titanium and only 41mm in diameter. The carbon bezel looks great and looking at it objectively, if I didn't know already that the dial wasn't carbon, I wouldn't have picked up on it. Which surprised me because when I looked at these in the Oxford Street boutique it appeared the dial was quite poor... so that has confused me somewhat.


I've said before though, you know... this watch costs £3300, it should not have any components which are 'faux' anything. If the watch was £500 then you can make the case, this is beyond ridiculous. That aside, from the pictures I really liked the look of the rose gold version - but on the wrist it's absolutely illegible. The gold reflects the black around it and to be honest it's harder to see the time on this than on my 'phantom' 4000 Series. It's definitely harder to read than the actual 'phantom' Aquaracers released a few years ago. Maybe it's the lighting in the Sheffield store? I don't know, but maybe that also accounts for my attitude to the dial as well, I mean looking at the picture above, the dial looks pretty bad... 

Well, I tried, but to be honest I found myself completely disinterested... and after a pretty brief period of time my attention was wandering from my wrist to the other watches on display, most notably the 'Racing Tires' limited edition tourbillon with blue accents, but that's a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment