Wednesday 27 February 2019

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 360 18K Rose Gold Limited Edition

CV5041.FC8164

I'm encountering a bit of a lull in being able to find video content for some reason, I guess it ebbs and flows but there have been times when I had 20-30 videos in the queue, right now I've got nothing. So you might find my posts become every other day for a while until people start uploading videos a bit more frequently. Thankfully Baselworld is just around the corner so that should prompt some movement!

Anyway, so I just had my refund confirmed from my ill fated Searacer purchase. Obviously I was straight on eBay, and failing to find anything particularly interesting my next port of call was Watchfinder. Nothing in my price range particularly grabbed me there either, but I did come across this rather tasty morsel.


There's something vaguely Ulysse Nardinish about this watch, it looks like the ideal piece to wear when sitting on a nice big shiny yacht, albeit with a water resistance rating of just 30M it's entirely unsuitable for anything remotely water-adjacent! Not that you'd want to get that strap wet anyway, and while we're on the subject of the strap - well, long term readers will know that I'm not overly keen on brown straps, but with rose gold pieces I have to say that I find them entirely appropriate!


There were just 500 of these made, which makes it something of a rarity, and it also contains one of the rarest TAG Heuer movements, the Calibre 360. This was TAG's first attempt at in-house manufacturing, albeit it was more a case of modifying an existing movement than starting from scratch. But still, there aren't many ways you can own a Calibre 360 and it's an important piece of TAG Heuer history. You can read more about the Calibre 360 on Calibre 11 (CLICK HERE)


I've never seen a TAG Heuer box that looks like this either... very nice!


It seems the Carrera Calibre 360 was intended to be released in stainless, rose gold and black PVD, but according to David's article it looks like the PVD was released as a limited edition of 10 pieces and the rose gold 500 pieces, but the stainless never made it into production. It's a bit of a shame as it would have made it a lot more affordable, but I guess it only adds to the exclusivity.

At 41mm this is the perfect size for my wrist, but unfortunately (if not entirely surprisingly) this one is a bit out of my price range. I don't know what the original list price was*, but this one is currently available through Watchfinder at an asking price of £8925.

Wow, that's a lot of money, but then it is 18K Rose Gold so you can't really expect a bargain. As much as I like it, I still think if I had £9,000 in my pocket I'd probably take the new Carbon Carrera and save the balance.

Would you sell your CV5041 through 'Cash Converters'???

Intriguingly, while trying (and failing) to find the original list price, I came across a CV5041 on 'Cash Converters' website for £4995. I can't quite comprehend how a high end, solid gold, limited edition TAG Heuer ends up on Cash Converters website... but maybe I need to check that site a little more regularly in future! Sadly the watch has already been sold which at that price isn't really surprising, especially as this one had been serviced by TAG Heuer as well!

*Now had it confirmed that the original list price was £18,000...... WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment