Sunday 12 April 2020

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer 2000 Quartz Chronograph

CK1120

I haven't been looking at eBay too much lately; while my watch fund is in good shape I don't really feel that it would be prudent to spend money on unnecessary items like wristwatches at the current time. I feel at the moment my job will be okay, but I'd rather sit tight for now, keep saving and spend when things are back to normal... or as normal as they end up being I guess!

Still, I noticed this lovely 2000 quartz chronograph the other day while researching for my big list of numbers and my resolve was tested for a moment or two. The only thing that really made me reach for the brake was the simple fact that my experience with the 2000 Series clasp has not been good. You might remember I bought my 2000 Multigraph on a bracelet (partly because it was more readily available that way, partly because it looked better, but mostly because it was a great deal) and after much struggling with the clasp (including sanding the edges to try and make them sit higher than the centre of the bracelet rather than digging into my wrist) I gave up and bought the rubber strap instead.


Obviously that's not really an option here since, while it might look quite good, it's a bit dumb to spend all that money on a two tone bracelet and then take it off and put it in a drawer. It's a shame though because I think this one looks really nice. All three of my two-tone watches have light coloured dials and this one having a black dial really looks quite different. I really like the gold sub-dials too and the red chronograph hand, although of course it being the minute hand you won't see it much as most of the time it will be up at the 12 obscured by the white (second) hand.

As ever, gold watches always look quite battered and scratched in photographs, but you'll probably find it looks much better in person. Gold is a lot softer than steel and so it does tend to pick up little scratches, sometimes even just from contact with fingers... it's unfortunate, but if you want a little bling on your wrist I'm afraid it's just something you need to get used to. 


This watch presumably carries the same movement as the troublesome one in my Kirium quartz 1/10 second chronograph, as such I would be slightly wary of this... but then I have that movement in some other watches and it seems to work okay. 

The seller has listed this as being 42mm, but I would suggest that he has included the crown in that measurement as I find that rather unlikely... another listing I have found suggested it is 39mm, which sounds much more realistic.

The watch is currently on offer at £649, which I'm not too sure about... that sounds a little high for an eBay sale, especially as it looks like the crystal is scratched near the 10 position. From the photographs it looks like this is being sold by a jeweller, but there's no mention of the company name anywhere in the listing and I can't find it listed anywhere. It's a shame really, if I found this in a shop somewhere within a reasonable distance then I would be inclined to go and try it and see how the clasp fares... of course in the current situation that's a non-starter anyway!

It's a shame I have these issues with the 2000 strap as it does rather preclude me picking up rather a lot of relatively affordable watches and I do think they look great. My wife loves her 2000 Series and wears it without issue, so it's probably 100% me!


All these photographs are taken from the eBay listing except for the photo of the back of the watch which is taken from a different source, the eBay listing does not feature a photo of the back plate - which is pretty basic stuff for an eBay listing and if I was going to take this further I would be emailing the seller and asking for a photo of that for sure!

If you are interested in this item, please be aware that the seller does not accept returns.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAG-Heuer-2000-Quartz-Chronograph-CK1120-nice-age-to-this-watch/164155404153

No comments:

Post a Comment