Wednesday 8 April 2020

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Thin Blue Line' Limited Edition Watch

WAR201L.XXXXXX

I believe I may have posted about this watch before (a long time ago), but this is the first time I've actually come across photographs of one of these that's actually for sale. I found this on an auction  website I've never heard of called Barnebys.co.uk, which in turn lead me to Catawiki (which I have).

Numbered 1362 / 2000, this is described as being 8/10 for condition, but considering these watches are personally engraved with the policeman's name and serial number it seems slightly odd for this to come up at all - I suppose there's no telling what personal circumstances could lead to a sale, I guess we can assume it isn't stolen!


I rather like the way they've mashed up the UK Police Force badge with the TAG Heuer logo on the back.. although as ever it annoys me that they've printed it over the display back; what is the point?

I like the colour scheme, though it does seem slightly at odds with the somewhat conservative styling of the watch itself, but I like that they've really committed to the concept and given the watch a blue stitched strap (this watch was also available on a bracelet).


In the top picture it appears as if the TAG Heuer logo on the dial is actually blacked out, but from this angled shot you can see that it's actually silver and it must just have been reflecting black from somewhere.

The watch was given an estimate of £1300-1500, but actually sold for just £762, which makes me wonder if a plain unlimited Carrera day/date wouldn't be more valuable as that seems quite low. I guess limited editions aren't always more valuable, especially one that's so specific and rather 'out there'... maybe they should stick to racing drivers? But then I don't suppose resale value was on anyone's mind when they ordered this one.


I quite like it, but I can see why people wouldn't, and with 2000 of these out there it's not even actually all that rare... interesting to finally get a proper look at one though.

https://www.barnebys.co.uk/auctions/lot/tag-heuer-carrera-the-thin-blue-line-999-no-reserve-price-ref-VgN_aRkQJ

No comments:

Post a Comment