Friday 17 July 2020

FEATURE: Five Women's Watches I'd Like to See in Men's Sizes...


When TAG took over the Heuer watch company it didn't really inherit much in the way of women's watches... in fact women's watches were basically smaller versions of the watches on offer to men. Or if you want to look at it another way, most of the range was of a 'unisex' design. While that continues today in some areas, most notably the Aquaracer, for the most part men's and women's watches have split into two distinct and easily recognisable product ranges. Which makes total sense if you think about it; for all that gender is a taboo word these days there's probably not many guys pining for a man-sized white ceramic Formula 1 with a diamond bezel, just as there's probably not too many ladies hoping for a 27mm Aquaracer 500M in black PVD with a rubber strap and lime green detailing!


But there are exceptions. My wife wanted a ladies Carrera Heuer 01 skeleton so much that she ended up buying an Oris Atelier Skeleton because TAG Heuer didn't make anything even remotely similar for ladies (I know right, an ORIS! It disgusts me that that thing is even in my house! I'm joking, it's actually very nice... ), similarly I've seen ladies watches that I've thought 'Now, why don't they make that just a little bit bigger?' So here are five TAG Heuer watches that I would like to see made in men's sizes...


WAH1210.BA0859

My wife owns one of these, but hers has the diamond hour markers. That wouldn't bother me, but for the sake of argument let's assume it would be better to go without. Every time I have to change the date on this for her it always strikes me as a lovely looking watch, but it's very small at 32mm. This version (WAH1210) is actually 37mm, which is bigger than my resin Formula 1 and around the same size as some of my 1990s TAG Heuers, but I think it needs to be bigger to determine that it is in fact a man's watch, cos guys are sensitive about stuff like that! They do make a much larger chronograph version, but I really don't like it all that much, I want this, exactly as it is, but 41mm please.


WBK1314.FC8261

This one may be a surprise, but I'm not set on it having to be purple (although why not if you can carry it off?). The reason this one gets the nod is mainly because of the textured dial; why haven't we seen this in the men's range? In black or blue this would look great, all they need to do is straighten up that date window and make it 39-41mm. 


WAY1355.BH0716

Back in the 80s TAG Heuer used to make a men's 3000 Series that wasn't a million miles away from this (see the top of the page). It wasn't ceramic of course, and that would be a massive plus given the state of the PVD on those vintage watches! Unlike the purple Carrera this one doesn't look overtly feminine and merely scaling the whole thing up to 41mm would be perfect. No doubt it wouldn't be cheap, but I'd certainly be interested!

And now my wife has seen this, she wants one... at least she has the choice!


WBG1313.FT6117

This is one from the recent Bicester Village stock list which I showed to my wife; she didn't like it much (probably because it doesn't have any diamonds on it) and said it looks more like a man's watch. I have to say I agree. I think I did try this on and it was almost wearable, but it's still a bit small. Scaled up from 36mm to 40mm+ this would look absolutely fantastic.


WAY1390.BH0716

Finally... it's another ceramic Aquaracer. I did toy with the idea of including the Alter Ego, but I don't think that would fly in 2020 and it's a very old model now. Besides, the Alter Ego was quite a feminine watch, although a Calibre 11 forum member claims to have a 'man-sized' prototype case in his possession (pics please James!).

Back in February I came across a diamond bezel version of this Aquaracer at the Bicester Village store. I couldn't actually get it over my hand to try it on (which is another issue when it comes to possibly wearing smaller watches with deployments), but it looked stunning with a polished bezel base and full ceramic bracelet. Personally I'd be quite happy to go for an upsized version of that, but for the sake of conservatism, let's go with the ceramic bezel in lieu of the sparkles.

Again this one is only 35mm, but at 41mm it would make a perfect pair with the gold bezel version and offer something a little less flamboyant. They could even go for a full ceramic bezel... which rather begs the question why haven't we had a full black ceramic men's Aquaracer yet?


Well, I hope you enjoyed my suggestions, if you have any of your own you could always leave me a comment. My wife suggested we should look at men's watches that she'd like to see in women's sizes, so that may be a post for the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment