Thursday 23 July 2020

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer 2000 Series Quartz Chronograph

540.206

Last week I posted about a 540.206R that I found on eBay going for under £300. It was a little bit beaten up and the bracelet had been repaired using an ill-fitting end link, which I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to live with... it would have needed replacing or putting on a strap - either way I decided I couldn't be bothered with it and I would hold on and look for a better one for a bit more money.


Less than 24 hours later I received an email alert from Watches.co.uk telling me they had added a new TAG Heuer to their selling pages, and lo and behold it was a very minty looking 540.206! Comparing the two watches is a non-starter since this one is so much nicer, it almost looks like NOS, except it doesn't come in the original box, which is a bit of a bummer to be honest.

It does have it's documentation though, which shows the watch was originally purchased in August 1995, so it's coming up on its 25th birthday and looking pretty spectacular on it. 


I have my suspicions that perhaps it's had a new bezel, and I'm pretty sure it's had a new set of hands. If you look at the lume shot below you can see the hands glowing but the lume on the dial is dead as a dodo, if they were of a similar vintage you would expect them to be a lot closer in their luminosity.


When I got the email, my immediate reaction was 'Wow - I have to buy this!' Unfortunately the email alerts don't show the price and when I clicked on the link I was slightly taken aback to find it was five pounds shy of a grand. I mean, yes it is gorgeous and it's in spectacular condition, but I was hoping to find something a little more in the middle ground, you know... maybe £5-600 but with a few light marks, something like that.

I would love to own this, but can I really bring myself to pay £995 for a 25 year old quartz watch, even one that actually looks brand new in most regards? With much regret, I honestly don't think I can, but I will leave the link below in case anyone fancies it...


No comments:

Post a Comment