Sunday 11 October 2020

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer 'Batman' Calibre 7 GMT Watch

WAY201T.BA0927

TAG Heuer Boutique / Meadowhall, Sheffield, 17th Aug 2020

When I first saw photographs of the WAY201T back in February my reaction was more than positive; here was an Aquaracer GMT that took everything I liked about the 'Pepsi' bezel version and improved on it significantly. Indeed, if I remember correctly, I believe that in my First Impressions post I expressed my enthusiasm quite openly with the caveat that one shouldn't get too excited until one was able to handle and hold the item in question. Thankfully, six months later that time indeed came and I for one was not disappointed.


Of course, this was the same day that I got to try on the new green Aquaracer, which for me was a definite let down. I'd still love to see the original steel version as I have hopes that the new green bezel is dragging that dial down, but when and where that might turn up I have no idea. By contrast, this dial blew me away... honestly I can't remember a dial that looks so stunning close up and the photographs certainly do not do it justice. It has a jewel like quality, something people said about the original green dial Aquaracer Calibre 5, but which I failed to see in the new model, and while it might well be a little OTT for some people I though it was utterly beautiful. 


For me, the Pepsi bezel variant was always half-way there. I liked it, but I never loved it, and it never made me want to save up for it. Replacing the red part of the bezel with black and switching the blue part to the 'day' side of the bezel is a great improvement and combining it with that amazing blue dial completes the picture perfectly. I'm still not completely sure about the GMT hand in blue, I think black or silver might have been better, but it's not a deal breaker and it doesn't offend the eye in any way. Then again, as someone who really has no use for it, the GMT hand is pretty unobtrusive, so in a way it's perfect as it is... and after all, the design is clearly a 'homage' to the Rolex GMT 'Batman' which has of course a pale blue GMT hand (albeit on a black dial).

But then it has a black dial, so it's a lot easier to see it!

On the wrist the WAY201T is exactly as you'd expect if you've tried on any recent 43mm Aquaracer. It's satisfyingly chunky without being too big, at least for my 7.5/8 wrist and it comes on the standard BA0927 bracelet with a wholly brushed finish and a push button clasp. The case is polished on the sides but with a brushed top edge to match the bracelet. Sure, it's not elegantly slim, but at the end of the day this is essentially a dive watch* so you wouldn't expect it to be. 

*Okay, technically it's not a dive watch since the minute markers on the bezel have been replaced with hours for the GMT hand, but well... how many people were ever actually going to dive with a £2550 watch anyway? Certainly not I!


I didn't get an enormous amount of time to play with the WAY201T, but it was enough to convince me that I seriously need to consider it for the future. The dial is phenomenal and from what I've read the Calibre 7 (ETA 2893-2) movement is a better bet than another Calibre 5 (which is apparently known for winding problems). 

Mmmm, okay so now I might need to start saving - no more classic F1s for a while! 

No comments:

Post a Comment