Wednesday 21 October 2020

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Monaco Heuer 02 'Black Dial' Chronograph

 

CBL2113.BA0644

It's nearly a year since TAG Heuer debuted the Heuer 02 Monaco with a blue dial and I suppose it shouldn't really come as a surprise that eventually it would be followed by a black dial variant. One might even say the red highlights (welcome as they are) are maybe a little predictable, will the missing 'CBL2112' eventually prove to be a carbon dial Monaco perchance? Only time will tell...

What was less predictable was the arrival of the first new Monaco bracelet since 2004 and, well... to be honest I'm not too sure I like it. Truth be told I wasn't much of a fan of the previous (angular) bracelet, though I acknowledge that those who own them seem to absolutely adore them, but what I don't get about this one in particular is the curviness of it and how that marries with this squarest of all watches.


The new bracelet is actually inspired by a Heuer bracelet that was available in the 70s and I can see why TAG Heuer would look the the past to inform their design choices because at this point the Monaco is 90% 'heritage' and a lot of these bracelets are going to be sold to existing Monaco customers for their older models. But to be honest I don't particularly like the older bracelet either and the new one seems to have taken that design and added a little too much 2000/Aquaracer into the mix with those chunky polished centre links.

I don't know, maybe I'm not the best person to ask because to be completely truthful I think the Monaco always looks at it's best on a leather strap of some description (or indeed the textile strap found on the Calibre 12 boutique edition), but again I just don't see how those curved links mesh with those slab sides and angular case. Wouldn't a squarer link design have been better, perhaps more like the ones we've seen on the Grand Carrera and Carrera ranges in recent years?

CBL2113.FC6177

No matter, the CBL2113 is of course also available on a black leather strap, which of course makes it more familiar and less extraordinary at the same time. It would be nice to see this on a red stitched strap, but I guess we'll have to wait for a limited edition for that; though I can't imagine it will be long until someone posts a picture on Instagram of this sporting an FC6289 strap, it's hardly what you might call a great leap of the imagination...

As for the watch itself I think it looks quite smart, but for me it doesn't quite have the 'Wow' factor of the blue CBL2111. I've never been keen on the flat blue dial of the 'Heuer' Calibre 11 Monaco and that was one of the reasons why I preferred the old Calibre 12 TAG Heuer version with its sunburst dial. In turn I prefer the new version over that one and a big part of that again is the gorgeous blue dial.

CBL2111.BA0644

Needless to say the blue dial variant will also be available on this new bracelet, but not for a few months. From these renders I'd say it might work a little better than the black dial model, bit I'm pretty sure I'd still choose it on the blue leather strap it was launched with.


Prices for the various models are as follows:

CBL2113.BA0644: Black dial on a bracelet - £5600
CBL2113.FC6177: Black dial on a black strap - £5250
CBL2111.BA0644: Blue dial on a bracelet - £5600
CBL2111.FC6453: Blue dial on a blue strap - £5250

No comments:

Post a Comment