Saturday 3 October 2020

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Formula 1 '24' Calibre S Quartz Chronograph

CAH7011.BA0860

There are some watches that stick with you, and every so often they come back into your consciousness and you find yourself hunting them out all over again: this CAH7011 is one such watch for me. As yet I've never actually managed to see one close up, and as such I've never been able to fully satisfy my curiosity one way or another. My gut tells me that it's going to be another CAU2012; a long search followed by a brief moment of elation which ultimately leads to disappointment and a money leeching sale.

The similarities are obvious, a 44mm Formula 1 with those nasty looking crown guards... well, actually that's it as far as similarities go I suppose, but it's enough to make me wary. Unlike the CAU2012 which was powered by a Calibre 16 automatic movement, this one has the fantastic Calibre S quartz engine which I already have in my yellow dial Aquaracer. I really like it, although it takes a bit of getting used to (reading the date for example), but I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Which is rather something you might say about this watch in general. It certainly has a 'striking' appearance, which will repel probably at least as many people as it attracts. I quite like it, although I'm slightly unsure that it has enough long term appeal to make me want to part with my hard earned cash.

Speaking of cash, this particular piece is currently on the Watchfinder website for £1175, it was on there for £1200 a few days ago, don't quite know why they've shaved £25 off... maybe they were expecting a quick sale? Maybe I'm partly responsible for that, since I found this in the pre-sale section and registered my interest. They were supposed to email me when the watch was available, but they didn't (still haven't actually), which is disappointing since usually Watchfinder are pretty efficient.


Well, it's not the end of the world since I've pretty much decided to pass on it anyway. I don't know how much this cost originally, Watchfinder are claiming a retail price of £1600, but over a grand seems excessive for something I'm not 100% head over heels for. To be fair, this is perhaps the best condition I've ever seen one of these in pre-owned. Pretty much every one I've ever seen before has had damage to the bezel insert or the black coated bezel itself.

It comes complete with box and papers, although I notice it's one of those weird rubber boxes that can eventually degrade and start 'melting' like my wife's did, which is not pleasant! 

I guess I was hoping this would go up for £995 or something, even though deep down I knew it would be up in the £1100-£1200 range. Oh well, I think this is one that's destined to remain on the 'interesting' list for some time to come, unless one turns up at a price I can't refuse...

Click HERE to visit the Watchfinder sale page for this watch

8 comments:

  1. These are a fantastic looking watch from all angles, it was the striking bold looks that did it for me. I was able to purchase one brand new from a local authorised dealer for £900 reduced from £1200 at the time. The functionality of the stopwatch timing to 100th of a second is very clever especially considering you can flip between time and stopwatch leaving the stopwatch running in the background. I have quite a few watches in my collection and this one would never be one I would consider parting with even though I rarely wear it but will do today and for the next few days . My advice would be don’t sit on the fence, get one and scratch the itch, if you don’t keep you may lose a little money but not a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I really haven't thought about this watch for a long time, it used to be one I really wanted. Still never seen one in real life, would very much like to... Rob

      Delete
    2. Hi having recently bought this very watch , I've struggled to see another in other shops . Do you know if this was a limited edition? I have wanted a Tag for quite some time bit when I seen this I had to have . Great looking watch and I have it as my daily watch , why leave it in the box . Enjoy it !!!

      Delete
    3. Don't think it was a limited edition, but it was probably what's known as a 'novelty' meaning it was only made for a limited time. Cool watch, still never actually seen one in real life I don't think...

      Delete
    4. I bought mine in Singapore Duty Free in 2012 by chance i first saw it in 2011 when issued there was also a bronze coloured on as well . Got it for a song 1560 Aussie dollars when our dollar was strong during the mining boom

      Delete
    5. And no not a limited edition , Limited editions are numbered at the back

      Delete
    6. The first bronze watches TAG made were the Autavias in 2019.

      Delete
  2. I have one of these from new, currently thinking of part ex it for a newer model as not really sure on it anymore and think I’d prefer an automatic movement. Let me know if you want one still 😉

    ReplyDelete