Thursday 20 August 2020

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 'Drive Timer' Chronograph

CAR2A1H.FT6101

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 19th August 2020

Back in February 2018 I posted about a trip to London with my friend Rich, and during that post I mentioned that I stopped into the Goldsmiths store on Oxford Street where I tried on the CAR2A1H 'Drive Timer' Heuer 01 Carrera. There was no 'On the Wrist' post, it was literally two lines where I said that I really liked it but I already had the skeleton Heuer 01 Carrera and as such I couldn't really justify buying something so similar. All of that is still true of course, and in fact now it's even more true because since then I added my CV2A80 Carrera which has the lumed Arabic minute markers, just like this one... but of course that doesn't change the fact that I really like it! 


Would I swap my two watches for this one then? Probably not, but only because I really love my CAR2A1Z. This one does have the advantage of a ceramic bezel and a very cool leather strap, while retaining the black PVD titanium case. It also has coated lugs whereas my skeleton has polished lugs, which gives it a slightly more cohesive overall look. 

It also sits very nicely on the wrist, yes it's big - it's 45mm, but if you own a 45mm Heuer 01 Carrera you will know how nice they feel on the wrist and this one is no exception. For reasons too tedious to go into I tried this one on my left wrist and I still loved it!


The strap really is nice, I've long thought about getting one of these for my watch but I've never quite got around to it. As usual with these Carreras the deployment clasp is a joy, if only all my clasps were as good as this one - I would be a very happy man!

To be honest I was rather surprised to see this was still in the store given the number of new pieces which have come and gone since lockdown was eased (remember that triple 'new stock' post that highlighted fifty new pieces, most of it has been and gone already!) but it turns out they had more than one. I kinda wish they had sold it because it's tugging at my wallet, even though I know it's not a wise purchase for my collection - I really need to be focusing on getting something different, not variations on things I already have.


I'm sure next time I visit this will be gone though, it's too good to remain on the shelf for long, especially as it's reduced from £4850 to £2910. If you pass by the store make sure you have a look at this one, and ask the staff to charge the lume for you, it's pretty damn cool!

Here's a link to the post I mentioned above:
http://tagheuerenthusiast.blogspot.com/2018/02/feature-another-trip-to-london-and-new.html


No comments:

Post a Comment