Sunday 4 September 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Omotesando Boutique' Heuer 02 T Limited Edition

CAR5A8AD.FT6415

To celebrate the re-opening of the Omotesando boutique in Japan, TAG Heuer have produced this limited edition Heuer 02 tourbillon with a coated titanium case and forged carbon lugs and bezel. It's somewhat reminiscent of the 'Mexico' model launched last year (one of which was personalized and presented to Red Bull Formula 1 driver Sergio Perez) but this time highlighted with red on the tourbillon and rear crystal.


Like all TAG Heuer's Heuer 02T models this one is presented in a 45mm case and in this instance is limited to just 50 pieces. I know when the Mexico model came out there were a lot of positive comments on the THF forum about TAG Heuer finally making a tourbillon available with a solid dial instead of a skeleton, and I agree. I've never really liked the skeleton dial on the Heuer 02 (love the Heuer 01 skeleton though) so it's nice to see more solid variants hitting the market.


I think the carbon lugs and bezel look great, though I am always wary of carbon parts on watches as they can get damaged. I know Audemars Piguet made a Royal Oak with a carbon bezel and when they inevitably go back for replacement they usually end up being changed for a ceramic alternative. I guess it depends on a) your lifestyle and b) how clumsy you are! 


The watch is showing on TAG Heuer's Japanese website (link below) at a price of 2,667,500 Yen (approximately £16,500) but it says 'No Stock'. Whether that means it's sold out or you have to visit the boutique to purchase is unclear.




CAR5A8AD.FC6415: 6.5/10

8/10 "The Nanograph tourbillon is still my favourite. But this one is not bad."

5/10 "I don't like the swirly carbon that TAG uses, it just looks tacky. The red colour crystal on the caseback further detracts from the watch."

9/10 "I really like it, with the very personal modular case design, carbon… only the strap with croc pattern is not for me."

8/10 "Will they ever have the balls to release the tourbillion in a 42mm elegancy case? Not that I could afford it, but I think it would be a compelling offering."

4/10 "Real photo of the watch looks a lot better than the renders. But I'm afraid this one doesn't too much for me. It looks broadly similar to what we've seen before and I wouldn't have known it was a new model if I'd just seen a picture."

4/10 "Just another watch off the line marked ‘special’, nope not so in my eyes."

6/10 "It certainly looks different, but it doesn't make me want one."

8/10  "I like this alot, it looks good and for some reason I love the red tinted case back. Not 100% sure about the phantom hands but certainly not a deal breaker."

3/10 "Really not my cup of tea. I do wonder how many of these they sell?"

No comments:

Post a Comment