Friday 16 September 2022

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer GMT Calibre 7 Watch

 
WBP2010.BA0632

Steffans / Northampton, 31st August 2022

Right from the moment I saw the render for this (way back whenever that was....), I thought this could potentially be the one for me. I'd already tried several 2021 spec Aquaracers (including the green bezel titanium version and the Night Diver) and although I liked them, none of them spoke to me to the tune of £2500+ (or £3500 in the case of the titanium model). But I had high hopes for the GMT with its funky looking blue and white bezel and yellow accented GMT and second hands.... 


But I knew deep down that the blue on the bezel would make or break the overall impression, and sadly for me it's just too damned dark. In fact I saw the watch in a window a day or so ago and at first glance it really does look black and white... which is a massive shame. Especially since I already didn't like the mismatched blue tones found on the regular blue Aquaracer.

Unfortunately I've only seen the watch on the bracelet so far, and I feel like maybe the blue rubber strap will help bring the blue out on the bezel (and tone down the contrast with the white in the process), so I am not writing it off completely just yet. But certainly I'm not moved to rout my savings for it either.


I feel like I still haven't connected with the new Aquaracer, every one I've tried has been fundamentally great, but aesthetically 'off'. With the Night Diver it was the octagonal hour markers starkly highlighted against the luminescent dial; with the orange dial it was the orange itself that left me cold; with the standard blue it was the mismatched between the dial and bezel and the black and silver versions are a little bit dull for me. The green titanium was probably my favourite, but the price is just too much...

So I had a lot riding on this one and it's definitely come up short. A massive pity, but on the other hand Steffans did have my current favourite in their window, the absolutely stunning CBN2A1E 160th Anniversary Carrera Dato45 in blue and white. Unfortunately its verging on twice the price* of the GMT, otherwise I would have taken it home with me. 

*Turns out this is not true, since the GMT is more expensive than I thought at £3150!

No comments:

Post a Comment