Thursday 22 September 2022

FEATURE: My Love Affair with the Heuer Carrera 'Ice King' 160th Anniversary Heuer 02 Limited Edition Chronograph by Jim Dollares


Today we have another splendid contribution from our Swedish correspondent / TAG Heuer enthusiast Jim Dollares, and today he wants to tell you all about his most favouritest watch ever.


Mom, dad, I want you to meet the love of my life, this is the Ice King. We met in December 2020 and my life will never be the same!

Those who know me will roll their eyes, the nickname ‘Ice King’ has been used by me hundreds of times for this superb Carrera that TAG Heuer released in 2020 to celebrate their 160th anniversary. I am sick of watch companies looking for any “anniversary” as an excuse to release new limited editions but this time I didn’t mind, since the result is the most perfect and beautiful watch I have ever laid my eyes on. When I first received it, I remember saying that this might not only be the watch of the year, but the watch of the decade.



Initial Impressions

I must admit that it wasn’t love at first sight with this one though. During the initial unveiling in January 2020, I wasn’t too smitten with this heritage looking little chronograph and it took me about 6 months before I had fallen completely for it. The more photos and videos I saw, I realised that the dial was magical. I could not get that dial out of my head and I became obsessed.


How it Wears

On my wrist the Ice King wears just perfectly and the 39mm case feels like a sweet spot. I have heard many complain about the thickness, but this is an argument I don’t concur with. I find the case to be rather slim and a considerable part of the 14,5mm thickness is the boxed sapphire crystal. According to my measurements, the case excluding crystal, measures approx. 11,5mm. With a flat crystal I believe most would agree for it to be a decently slim timepiece, especially considering it is a chronograph. The overall wearing experience I would describe as a light weight, well balanced, perfectly proportioned watch with a very classy look.


A truly magical dial

A couple of years back I remember being appreciative of many of the new releases in the constant flow of watches being presented from all brands I follow on a regular basis. It only took a blue dial, perhaps a flashy sunray finish or some other cool colour for me to think “Wow, cool watch”. Reflecting on it, I have realised that I’ve become very picky when it comes to dials and how they are executed. In a way, the perfection of the Ice King’s dial symmetry, colour and finishing has ruined other watch dials for me. Sure, every now and then I come across a really nice dial execution but quite simply put, this silver dial is pure magical perfection to me. The dial has this very cool structure to it, which makes it appear completely different depending on the light and still after almost two years of ownership, when on wrist I take moments to just stare at the dial probably 10 to 20 times a day (if not more).


The Heuer02 movement

As a watch addict, I am not the type who is mainly fascinated with or collect watches for the mechanics of watch movements. I understand the basics of it, and I appreciate the phenomena of mechanical movements but at the end of the day I enjoy watches for their aesthetics and how they make me feel when worn. Therefore, the obvious flaws of the Heuer02 movement don’t change how much I like the watch. It is commonly known that the Heuer02 has a loud and violent rotor sound, as smooth and non-satisfying as someone slowly running his fingernails on a chalk board. 

When you first interact with a timepiece equipped with the Heuer02, it might have you believe that the movement comes from the factory ready to fall apart at any second. I do think that TAG Heuer could do some upgrades to ensure that the movement gives you the sophisticated luxury experience you expect at this price point. If the TAG Heuer branded Seiko movement Heuer01 would have been configurated with a 3, 6, 9 dial layout I much rather would have had that one powering my Ice King. Unlike the Heuer02, the Heuer01 is silent and silky smooth to wind.


The worst watch clasp I have ever tried

No love affair is perfect. You might not think so, but the Ice King did have one major flaw that I just couldn’t live with. Luckily it was one that I could easily fix, it was the clasp (FC5042). I was utterly shocked, and angry, with how terribly bad the clasp is, and I can’t for the life of me understand why TAG Heuer would deliver a luxury chronograph at this price point with a clasp that feels like it belongs on a £80 watch. Imagine getting your new expensive timepiece and when you put it on you ask yourself “did the clasp close properly?”. This clasp has very little feedback to it when closing and during the first couple of weeks one side of the clasp accidentally popped open on several occasions when I was wearing the watch. It didn’t take long before I got a replacement strap and Heuer branded pin buckle, I just couldn’t wear the watch with fear of dropping it at any moment.


Is this the only watch you will ever need?

In a way, yes. My feeling is still that there will never ever be a watch as great as the mighty Ice King. However, I have noticed a habit of not wearing it when I know I will do physical activities, like when I hike in the forest. I know it is a modern watch and that it can probably take a beating, but it feels a bit delicate and pretty and I tend to baby it somewhat. Therefore, for me, the Ice King should definitely be in the company of a solid 'action watch'. Why not a silver dialed Aquaracer for example? Obviously, the most ideal and perfect two-piece watch collection there could ever be...


A great post from Jim I'm sure you'll agree, for more of Jim's contributions to the T.H.E. blog click the link below:


No comments:

Post a Comment