Thursday 15 June 2023

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera 'Harrods' Limited Edition Chronograph

 
CBN2046.FC8320

Well I promised you that next time we'd be looking at something a bit more exciting, but I bet you weren't expecting this, right? No, you were probably expecting the skeleton dial Monacos, and we will of course be getting to those. But for now I bring you this super limited edition 42mm Carrera in solid 18k 5N rose gold, with a green sunray brushed dial, solid gold hour markers and a domed crystal all presented on a green alligator strap with a matching rose gold buckle. Wowsers!


I don't have the price unfortunately, but on the face of it I would expect it to be in the region of £20,000* - based on the prices of the gold panda and the rose gold Porsche 2.7 Carrera. However a couple of things suggest it could be significantly more. Firstly, this watch is a 'Harrods' only piece, so it will only be available from their London store. Secondly, the colour scheme (I refuse to say colourway, when did English people start saying colourway?) is not only appropriate to Harrods, but will also make it quite appealing to their wealthy 'Middle Eastern' customer base, and finally (so okay, three things not two) there are only 20 pieces worldwide, which puts in into the same league of exclusivity as the obscenely overpriced (not to mention spectacularly ugly) Monaco Riviera.

*Actual price confirmed as £19,950 - thanks to Darnell at Harrods. 


Personally I think it looks bangin, although I'm not 100% sold on the strap. It looks a completely different tone of green to the dial and perhaps a bight too light. It also looks an awful lot like the strap on the 'Kingdom of Saudi Arabia' Carrera we had earlier in the year, which further reinforces in my mind who the intended customer is for this.

I'd like to say I'll reserve judgement until I get to see one, but I doubt this will even make it into the display cases in Harrods. More likely it will be sold in advance to wealthy registered customers, so unfortunately we will have to score it on the strength of the renders and this solitary photo.

Thanks goes to YG Rulz for the information!





7/10: "I think this is what I would expect from a Tag Heuer Harrods watch. The sunburst green dial is lovely and I like the fact that they have gone full on gold with the dials, markers and badge no less. My only negative would be the size, maybe a little too big for my liking."

7.5/10: "Beautiful piece - the dial is gorgeous, and although some may think a green strap would be the safe choice for a yellow gold case, I think it works really well."

8/10: "Not bad, it probably looks even better in the metal."

5/10: "As far as gold Carreras go, this one doesn't do much for me. I'd much rather have the JH88, non-JH90 or the red Carrera RS 2.7. The shade of green used on the croc strap makes it look cheap."

6/10: "I’m not the biggest fan of “tool-watches” going gold (etc.) in order to become something which they’re inherently not… that said - this is the “Elegant” Carrera after all and green plus gold is a slightly refreshing combination."

8/10: "What's not to love other than the price?"

6/10: "Probably this watch is much better IRL, but from what I've seen in photos I give it a 6/10."

3/10: "Pulse normal. Not an interesting shade of green mixed with gold, available only from Harrods and probably overpriced, not going to jump out bed in anticipation of wearing this."

9/10: "Awesome. The green colour is amazing. The price is probably high, but my rating is high."

7/10: "Quite like it, but wouldn’t wear it."

4/10: "Bit ostentatious. I'm not an oil sheik with a Lambourghini!"

7/10: "I think this is super elegant worthy of any gentleman with actual money."

7/10: "Reminds me of the eighties Ray-Ban 'sharpshooter' (gold&green) sunglasses. So a cool watch!"

8 comments:

  1. Hi all, the watch is £19,950 and they have already sold half of the allocation having only just released the stunning timepiece. I believe a couple of pieces are still available for purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interested to know where you got the photo from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s certainly a stunning watch looks even better on the wrist in natural light. Managed to purchase but down to only two pieces left now. Don’t think they will be available for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Wow, pity I didn't visit Harrods when I had the chance then...
      Rob

      Delete
  4. They still have 2 for sale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw it today in person at Harrods, it was in a lovely display case!

    ReplyDelete