Saturday 3 June 2023

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02 Chronograph

 
CBN201C.FC6542


TAG Heuer Boutique / Spitalfields, London 15th April 2023

Once again I'm so behind with these posts that I've since tried on this watch again (at the TAG Heuer boutique on Oxford Street) and in both colours. But my initial meeting was with the black dial version and I was rather surprised by how much I liked this one. I've tried on a 42mm (no longer called 'Elegant') Carrera before, but the initial release colours were rather too, ahem... elegant for my liking, but this rather sporty looking take on the same model certainly appeals more to me.


The polished case works really well with the stunning sunburst dial, and makes this stand out on the wrist. I'm not sure how practical it really is though, I would be interested to see how these look after a couple of years of daily use, but I guess that's why you have polishing services! For sure with a brushed case this wouldn't look half as spectacular and eye-catching as it does, I guess scratches are just the price you have to pay for all that fabulosity.


As I said my initial contact was with the black and I thought I liked that one best, but then once I had them both in front of me I must admit I was kinda swayed towards the blue. There's really very little in it, I think I marked them half a point different in the C.O.C.O. and I think I would probably just swap those scores around now, but I still really like the black one too.


Flipping the watch over you get to see the Heuer 02 movement through the clear caseback and on this model for some reason they've chosen to add a gold rotor. I'm assuming it's not solid gold (you would assume the TAG Heuer website would be shouting about it if it was), but I'm afraid I haven't been able to find out anywhere what it actually is - let's assume it's plated then. But it looks great anyway... 


The strap is very uninspiring though, these new plain straps TAG Heuer are making now are pretty dull to be honest. I get that they are having issues selling alligator straps in certain places and it makes sense to have one strap for everywhere in the world, but surely they can do something with them to make them more than just a loop of plain leather? In the past we've seen rubber straps with alligator patterning and even leather straps with Link patterning, they just need to be a bit more imaginative really. Oddly enough, the original renders showed the watches with a stitched detail on the side of the strap. I don't know why they did away with that idea, but they should have kept it in my opinion. As it is these straps are just rather boring. 


These are definitely my favourite of the current selection of 42mm Carreras and I could see these making a good buy on the pre-owned market if the price was right. As it is the £5000 price tag seems a bit high, especially with a fully polished case, and from what I hear these aren't exactly a raging success story sales wise. A shame really, as it's nice to see TAG Heuer doing something different with these models. 


No comments:

Post a Comment