Friday 9 November 2018

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Automatic Watch

WAF2110.BA0806

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 6th November 2018

Not too very long ago I came across one of these on eBay, it looked quite good but the bezel was a bit battered and scratched, and in the end I decided not to bid on it. I think it ended up somewhere around the £400 mark, which means it was probably a bit of a bargain really, and I've kept it in mind ever since. So it was interesting to find one at the Bicester store today, and to be able to see one up close and in perfect condition.


The bezel is highly polished and is definitely a worry, I just can't see that lasting without a scratch on it for long, but then I guess that's something that Breitling owners have to live with... and it does look pretty cool. In contrast the rest of the case is totally brushed, as is the bracelet, save for some small polished inserts between the links. The watch is a little on the small side for me (I have a 7.3/4" wrist) but it's still slightly bigger than say a Kirium which I'll happily wear, so it wouldn't worry me unduly.


The clasp is a bit of a disappointment, it's a pressed clasp rather than a milled one and at this price level that's not really acceptable (it's not really acceptable on a Formula 1 either to be honest), but if you were minded to do so, it should be possible to switch it with a push button clasp from another model.

There's no mention of a Calibre marked on the watch, but a little Googling seems to confirm my assumption that there is a Calibre 5 inside the case. The watch is relatively thin, looks smart and understated on the wrist and would look great with a smart shirt and would fit easily under the cuff.


The thing that really sells this watch is the 'tapisserie' dial. If you like the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak but you only have Aquaracer money then this could be the one for you. True, the texturing is a lot smaller here, which does give the watch an under the radar kind of vibe, but close up it certainly gives the watch a certain 'something' that you don't get from a flat dial, and I really liked it. Indeed, if this had been a 41mm I might well have been tempted to buy it - although the clasp remains a slight sticking point.

The watch has a RRP of £1750 and is currently on offer at the Bicester Village store for £1050, a substantial saving of 40%.

No comments:

Post a Comment