Thursday 1 November 2018

AUCTION WATCH: The Fellows 30th October Watch Sale (Follow Up Post)


A few days ago I wrote about a selection of TAG Heuer watches that were featured in the Fellows Auctioneers 30th October Watch Sale, and due to the wonders of technology (and a slower than average work day) I managed to watch quite a good chunk of the auction live. This was a first for me, I've never actually been to an auction so it was a bit of an eye opener to say the least.

For one thing, when you see auctions on TV it all seems a bit grander and more time is taken over the presentation of each lot. The article is brought in and the auctioneer describes it in glowing terms, espousing the finery of the manufacture and condition etc, but here it was very much this is business - let's crack on. Indeed the auctioneer never referred to the lots by anything other than their assigned number - I assume there must have been a screen off camera showing each lot to the people who were in attendance.

To be fair the poor auctioneer had three hundred and some lots to get through, and when the auction started at 11am I had no idea that it would go on for over three hours without a break. In fact I don't actually know how long it did go on for in the end because once we got past the TAGs (about 2.1/2hrs in) I started to lose interest a bit, and towards the end were some slightly crappy watches and quite a few watch boxes (which I wasn't very interested in to be honest!).

So let's take a look at the TAG Heuers I picked out the other day and the prices they achieved.


LOT 218: Grand Carrera Calibre 6 - £893 (Guide price £400-600)



LOT 220: Carrera Calibre S - £? (Guide price £800-1200)
Bit confused here, I thought this one sold, but there's no value shown on Fellows website!



LOT 231: Link Chronograph Automatic - £714 (Guide price £400-600)




LOT 232: Gold Cased Monaco Calibre 12 (Not working) - £3445 (Guide Price £3000-5000)



LOT 233: 3000 Series Ladies Quartz Watch - £217 (Guide price £120-180)



LOT 234: 2000 Exclusive Chrono Two Tone - £689 (Guide price £300-500)


I must admit, I was kind of glad that last one went up as high as it did, I was in two minds whether to bid for it and upgrade my own 2000 Exclusive to the chrono version, and if it had gone for say £400, then I think I would have been a bit gutted to have missed out. But nearly £700 was more than I wanted to pay to upgrade, it's not as if I'm unhappy with my watch, I just fancied an extra couple of mm on the diameter and the chrono, but never mind.

As interesting as it was to see the TAGs being auctioned, there was one lot which beggared belief. Lot number 125 was a chocolate dial Omega Speedmaster with all manner of problems, including:

Marks and scratches to the dial
Discoloured lume
Marks and scratches to the case, crown and bracelet.
A heavily scratches bezel
Damage to some links of the bracelet, to the point where they were described as 'misshapen'
A movement that is not currently working!


A bit of research reveals this model is important because it was the first Speedmaster to have a black bezel, and along with the chocolate dial this somehow pushed the watch to an eventual sale price of £88,000. I must say I don't really get it, but the world of vintage collectible watches is a strange one that I tend not to get involved with.

All in all it was an interesting experience watching the sale, and I'd definitely consider bidding in future. There were definitely bargains to be had, although not perhaps on the watches I'd have wanted to bid on. Still, I notice in last years sale someone picked up an immaculate two tone S/EL for just £300, so it definitely pays to take an interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment