Wednesday 7 November 2018

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Formula 1 'David Guetta' Calibre 7 GMT Watch

WAZ201A.FC8195

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 6th November 2018

I can hear some of you wincing from here, and to be honest before I tried this on I was 100% with you. But actually, it's not nearly as bad as I thought. Ever since I was a kid I always liked 'Bund' straps, though I've never owned one, and despite my wife making a distinctly queasy face while I was trying it on, I still like them. In fact when I took the 'Bund' part away to see how it would look on a regular strap, it looked distinctly diminished. However, the strap is a) only just long enough for my wrist, b) has got those weird rivet things and c) is a bit cheap and nasty. I'd keep the back piece, but I think I'd be on the lookout for a replacement strap if I was going to wear this myself.


Obviously there are design similarities with the Rolex GMT 'Batman', and for a lot of people that will be the appeal of this particular piece, and on the wrist the blue/black bezel looks great, much better than I thought it would. I'm not sure it works so well with the black case, but then I don't think a steel case would look as good with the 'Bund' strap... and besides you can actually get a blue/black bezel GMT in steel (without the strap) so that option is available if you want it.


I think the thing that will put most people off, and is indeed the one thing that I would definitely change, is the blue lumed hands and markers. I think it's a bit too much and they are a bit too heavy handed. We charged the lume in the shop and it did work, although as you'd expect not as bright as standard lume. I just think it looks a bit too blocky and clumsy for a watch in this price range.


Overall, I must admit I was surprised. I asked to try it on because I thought it was going to be awful and it would give me an easy target, but on the wrist it actually managed to change my mind somewhat. I mean, I'm not going to buy one myself, but at the same time I wouldn't now smirk if I saw one on someone's wrist. I like that it's different, and though I thought it would be a watch that would benefit from a nice rubber strap, in truth the 'Bund' part is definitely an important element of the overall design and I would stick with that.

The David Guetta Formula 1 GMT is currently available in the Bicester Village outlet at a price of £1400 (RRP £2000).

No comments:

Post a Comment