Friday 23 November 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: NOS 3000 Series Steel Quartz Watch from Italy.

932.206

Regular readers will know that I've been looking for a 3000 series TAG for a long time, and seeing one in the TAG Heuer museum only reinforced the view that a 3000 was a must have for my collection. But trying to find a 3000 being sold in the UK is a bit of a nightmare as nearly all the eBay listings originate from Japan (and the average wrist size there seems to be well under 7"), so finding this NOS (unworn with the complete bracelet) example for sale from an Italian seller really piqued my interest.


As you can see from the pictures the watch is is stunning condition, save for a few scratches to the bezel, but that condition is reflected in the asking price. It's hard to say exactly what this is worth since I've never come across one in this condition before, but personally I wasn't really prepared to pay £815 for a watch that is 30 years old and that I've never been able to try on.


It was perhaps slightly insulting in hindsight, but recently I've come to realise that when a seller invites offers, it's an opportunity to buy at a rock-bottom price - if the seller agrees, and after all 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'. With that in mind I made an opening bid of £375, which I knew would be turned down, and indeed it was. I upped my price to £425 and again the offer came back denied. eBay only allows you to make three offers after which you can only then buy at full price or you have to negotiate directly with the seller to see what you can both agree on. So with that in mind, and being a bit more realistic about it, I upped my offer to £550. This was also refused.


A little while later I received an offer from the seller, his bottom price was £650, which is probably fair, but to me it was still a bit too much. I think, maybe if the bezel hadn't been scratched I might have put my hand in my pocket and gone for it, but I felt like with the rest of the watch being so perfect, that scratch would drive me nuts, better in a way if the whole watch was a little worn rather than a flawless piece with one scratch in the most noticeable place possible.


And so, reluctantly it must be said, I walked away from this one. But all was not lost, and this morning I have taken delivery of a much more affordable 3000 series, with a full bracelet and from a UK seller no less. It certainly can't compare with this one as far as condition goes, but then again it was almost a third of the original asking price, so I can't complain - more on that in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment