Wednesday 13 March 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Chronograph

CV2A1V.BA0738

Goldsmiths / Sheffield, 26th January 2019

If you've read my 'On the Wrist' review of the newly released CBK2112 Calibre 16 Carrera you'll know how impressed I was with that model, even though I probably wouldn't buy it as it's a bit too dressy for me. However, when I tried that one on I also had this in the tray in front of me, which to all intents and purposes is a 'sportier' version of a similar thing...

On the face of it this should appeal to me more, where the CBK2112 is classy and elegant this has reflective Arabic hour markers and flashes of red on the subdial hands, second hand and top pusher... usually that would be a positive for me, but somehow it doesn't quite work on this one. I'm also not overly enamoured of the day funtion, which inevitably pushes the TAG Heuer logo up to the 2 position (making it look somewhat crammed in in the process)


I'm also not a fan of the big, shiny crown - which is something I don't like on some of the newer
Carreras as well (much better in black rubber in my opinion). The bracelet is nice, it reminds me a lot of the one fitted to my now departed Grand Carrera, with a similar push button clasp (and similarly lacking any fine adjustment). Around the back we're given a clear display back, which is thankfully unadorned with nonsense text on this occasion, and affords a decent view of the Calibre 16 inside.

Maybe if I'd tried this on it's own I would perhaps be more forgiving of it, but unfortunately it was a head to head and as a result I'm struggling to see why anyone would pay an additional £350 for this watch versus the CBK2112. Okay, so taste is subjective and I've already said the new Carrera is too dressy for me, but even so... this just screams 'trying too hard' somehow. And coming from somebody who's perfectly happy to wear a yellow dial Aquaracer on a black rubber strap, that's saying something.


Looking at this picture (the one directly above), it's hard to find fault with the design, but on the wrist I found this really hard to like. It's also been rather difficult to summon the will to write this review as I just don't seem to care about this watch like I do other models. Sadly I find this picture gives a somewhat false impression as the watch is a lot more gaudy in person and again, perhaps it's unfortunate but for me the CBK2112 crushes this into the dirt on every front!

Maybe it would help if it was a bit smaller? One of the noteable differences between the two watches is that the CBK2112 is 2mm smaller than this 43mm Carrera, and it feels even smaller than that, whereas this feels too big for the design. Yeah, I think you get the picture... this is one I won't be buying at any price, it's not often I really take against a TAG, but this one is a definite 'NO' from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment