Saturday 16 March 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph

CAU111E.FT6124

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 11th March 2019

Sometimes you see something over and over again and you kind of overlook it, just because... That's kind of the story with this watch. I've seen this piece so many times but never bothered to take a closer look, despite kinda liking the yellow and black colour scheme, partly it must be said because I have prior experince with the FT6124 rubber strap and more pertinently the awful clasp which I wrote about at length in this post:


Suffice it to say that I am NOT a fan, which is a shame really because the rubber strap itself looks pretty damn cool!


So finally I plucked this one from the cabinet and I was somewhat shocked by just how much I liked it! The first thing to say is that while in the pictures the yellow looks, well... yellow, it is in fact more gold than yellow. Moreover it's a very metallic looking gold, and if nothing else it's a very striking and unique look which I find rather appealing.

Inside the 40mm case you have your regular 1/10th of a second quartz chronograph movement, which is perfect for this watch because it keeps the list price down to a reasonable £1350. However, here in the Bicester Village outlet store it can be had for just £945, which is giving me a slightly itchy trigger finger!


Ye gads, no! The last thing I need is yet another 1/10th quartz chronograph, especially one that necessitates the purchase of another BT0714 strap (the last one was sold when I liquidated my WAH1110 - I had no intention of buying another quartz F1 then of course!), and yet... this one speaks to me. I don't know, some watches are just FUN, and this is definitely a FUN watch. I mean look at it! How could you not smile with that on your wrist?

I think if this one was to come on some sort of extra special offer I would be seriously tempted. It's a good price anyway, but seeing as my TAG fund is pretty much wiped out at the moment I can't really justify the cost. The only thing I will say though, before I get too carried away, is that this is the most phantomest of phantom watches, if only in that you literally can't see the black hands on the black dial!


Seriously, check out this video, at about the 11 second mark you will see exactly what I mean - the hands all but completely disappear! The black lume isn't great either, but I still like it anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment