Friday 13 September 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02T Senna Limited Edition

CAR5A91.FT6162

TAG Heuer Boutique / Oxford Street, London, 9th March 2019

It's odd, but I think one reason I haven't got around to writing up this one is simply how disinterested I was while it was on my wrist. Maybe that's partly because I know I can't afford it, but then I know I can't afford the Hublot Golf watch either and I wasn't disinterested in that. Maybe it's because I tried it on by default because there was literally nothing else of interest in the shop that I hadn't already had on my wrist? Again, it's possible... but it's not that uncommon a scenario.


Maybe it's because I was more interested in talking to Aneta (formerly of the Bicester TAG Heuer boutique) about her trip to Bazelworld? Well, maybe... but whatever the reason this one was deeply disappointing, in a way that is entirely inappropriate for a Senna edition, tourbillon costing around £17,000. 

I think it's at least partly due to the new Heuer02 dials. I just don't like them; they aren't skeletal, but nor are they properly 'solid' and I really detest the 'bridge' at the top which holds the TAG Heuer shield. That whole portion of the dial looks downright weird to me and I'm not a fan of the 3,6,9 layout either. In a way I'm glad I feel this way because I bought my Heuer01 Carrera pretty much straight away when it came available and that was a huge investment (not that sort of 'investement') for me, so it would be a shame if I was now hankering after the 'new' version. 

As for this watch specifically, I don't hate it, but for some reason the 'Senna' logo looks a bit garish and a bit of an afterthought at that if I'm honest.


I seem to remember being less than enthusiastic about this one when I first saw it, but it's always worth taking a second look because some watches just don't photograph well and can become an unexpected surprise.... but in this case it really doesn't do anything for me at all, and I am almost at a complete loss to explain why that is.

I think it looks kinda bottom heavy too, like there's too much space around the logo, but then the tourbillon is sitting too far down... seemingly right to the edge of the dial. Nah I think if I want a 'Senna' watch I'll go for the most recent Formula 1 tribute or a classic anni-digi S/EL on a leather strap, this one just doesn't cut it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment