Monday 30 September 2019

ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 36 'Racing' Flyback Chronograh

CAR2B80.FC6325

TAG Heuer Boutique / Bicester Village, 19th September 2019

I remember trying this watch on years and years ago, way before my blog was even an idea. Back then these were a good bit dearer, I believe the list price might even have been as high as £8000 back then, but there was a period a few years ago when these and the other flyback Carreras had a repositioning of price which meant the prices dropped considerably. This means that today you can pick one of these up brand new with a two year warranty for just £4200.


As you can see from my photo, this one gives the impression of being quite a big, imposing watch, but it's actually only 43mm in diameter and 14.5mm thick. Big enough for most people admittedly but still a good bit smaller than the original Heuer 01s. I've always loved the Arabic 'minute' numerals that feature on some TAG Heuer Carreras, but here, like on some other watches I've mentioned in the past, we have them finished with reflective surfaces which make them all but useless in many lights. The hands too aren't exactly legible, which is a pity, but then if you enjoy a semi-phantom aesthetic then this could definitely be one for you.


Inside the case, the watch features the Calibre 36 movement, otherwise known as the 'Zenith El Primero' and in this instance not only is this a chronograph, but it's also a flyback chronograph. I can't really think why I would ever need a flyback chronograph, but it's undeniably cool to watch the hand fly back and start timing the next event immediately as soon as you press the lower of the two pushers mounted on the right hand side of the case.


As far as I can tell the strap is unique to this particular model and it's pretty stylish, bringing to mind the sort of texturing you might find on a seat in a high end Porsche or other European supercar. I must admit the all black look is quite cool, with just a few tiny details picked out on red on the dial. It doesn't feel particularly Carreraish though, it's more of a stand alone product to me. Even more than the standard Calibre 36 Flyback models, which themselves have something of a unique and instantly recognisable design about them.

I like this, but I want to like it more than I actually do. I think this watch is probably more suited to someone who is more into the functionality and technological prowess of a watch, whereas I am much more swayed by the design and aesthetic. Hard to believe, but I find this one just a little too black... I'm itching to switch out the hands and hour markers for some bright white ones even though I know it would probably look an absolute dogs dinner.

If you are taken with it though, I'm sure the good people at TAG Heuer's Bicester Village outlet would be more than happy to furnish you with one, and you can contact them on 01869 249008

No comments:

Post a Comment