Sunday 29 September 2019

INTERVIEW: Pitfitter 446 (Calibre 11 Forum Member)


Today's guest is another Calibre 11 Forum regular and I'm sure you'll all recognise his avatar above (the much missed Archie), to you he's known as Pitfitter446, let's find out why?

Hello, I’m Martin, from Dunfermline, Scotland, I worked almost 30 years as a mechanical engineer in the coal mining industry and then landed in the motor trade in which I’ve done various things, now I’m getting bored again in my retirement...


It's nice (for me) to interview someone older than me, makes a change from all these whippersnappers, hahaha. So what started you on the watch path?

I’ve always had a thing for them, or at least mechanical things I could take to bits, although not always rebuild!


Ah yes, we've all been there... not so much with watches, with me it was guitars, but I get the idea. What was your first watch, or perhaps first 'good' watch?

My first watch had been my fathers, I unfortunately lost that although in my defence I may have been 11 or 12 at the time. I had various timepieces after that, I remember a Bulova and several Citizen digital, then one day in Edinburgh I spied a TAG in a window that was reduced and calling my name. As it happened I also knew the sales girl and so got an even better price and so gained my first TAG, a series 1000 full lume, still in use today, the wife was pleased, it kept me quiet, for a while anyway.

Condition now used! But approaching 40 years old.


Nice! I imagine that's a cherished piece, but is there an even more treasured watch in the collection?

My McQueen Monaco, or maybe a Disney Tigger watch my daughter bought me on a school trip many, many years ago.



I assume the Tigger watch is quartz, so how do you feel about quartz?

Quartz is fine by me, usually ready to wear at the correct time, willing to go at once, like a faithful dog? I’m not fussed that way if I like the style it’ll do, I may have to get a hybrid car a some point, heaven forbid, well there might be a couple of acceptable ones.


Okay, so what about the Connected..

No thanks, or any smart watch really, no rhyme or reason I can explain.


Do you have an inkling about what your next addition to the clan might be?

Oh, so many to pick from, don’t know, when I see it I’ll know, the specials for 50 years appeal but I have a Monaco so maybe a Monza, I do fancy a Bulgari Octo in the grey finish, not definitely a chrono but maybe, what’s out there? Another TH, who knows.



Is there a kind of 'money no object' grail piece that you have in mind?

I’ve seen and tried a Patek perpetual calendar that has my attention but at circa £100k it’ll have wait.


How does your wife feel about your watch collection, and how many watches is it acceptable to own?

I’m lucky my wife’s understanding about the need for more watches than wrists, I always promise to move one on to make room for the next but it hasn’t happened yet. In Madrid a couple of years ago it was her that decided I should have the MontBlanc I was trying, no logic there then. If it was food or a watch I might have a problem then... as for how many, well, how big a number can you think of? Serious though, when obsession takes over or there are more watches than you can can rotate then it may be time to take stock, not there yet.


This question often proves a little revealing, so have you ever 'sneaked' an expensive watch into the house?

No not yet, never felt the need, if she said no then I’d accept that, I wouldn’t want to have to train another wife at my time of life.


Heaven forbid! Hahaha. Have you ever bought or sold a watch and regretted it?

I bought a gold Rolex that was a bargain, but after two days decided it wasn’t for me, luckily my then sales manager has admired it too so it went way, for a slight profit too. My regret in the purchase soon disappeared then.



Well they always say Rolex is money in the bank! The watch industry has been regurgitating itself endlessly for about a decade now and TAG Heuer are playing their part, are you more drawn to re-issues of older pieces or modern pieces?

I really have no sway towards one or the other, no logic behind my preferences, re issues mean I could own a watch previously not available, whilst a new piece is, oooh new.


One question that usually divides my interviewees pretty much down the middle is next, so how do you feel about 'faux' aged lume on new watches?

If someone likes it why not, if it suits the style I’m fine with it.


In your opinion, why do you think TAG Heuer in particular seems to attract negativity from people who favour other brands?

Jealous of sales figures, brand awareness? Perhaps because they are available to all regardless of someone’s standing in life so no superiority feeling to others. Far too deep a question/answer for me, I like mine so and it’s my opinion that counts. :)


Bamford TAG Heuers are also not everyone's cup of tea, how do you feel about the collaboration?

Bamford? Mmmm, some look ok, others just don’t interest me, are they trying to see just how far they can go before bad taste kicks in?


What about limited editions and special packaging, is that something that influences/interests you?

Yes as long as they are special, not purely a monthly gimmick purely to keep sales going as the latest must have.


Are there any Heuers or TAG Heuers that you don't personally like?

Nothing that’s jumps to mind at present, none I’d refuse as a gift, or that I’m aware of so far. Not a huge fan of skeleton faces, or A Monopoly messed about with versions, sorry guys.


How would you like to see watch design progress?

I don't really want thinner cases or lighter materials. I like a large and/or heavy watch so really a longer power reserve and better long term accuracy; resistance to magnetism in today’s technology world and better shock resistance would be a plus for me.



Another subject that really divides people is two-tone, how do you feel about that?

I am wearing a two tone today in fact, a bit of bling if subtle does no harm.


Is there a TAG Heuer / Heuer you'd like to see re-issued?

Really hard to answer this, maybe I don’t know enough about TH’s past, maybe an update of their first ever watch, or, one that marked a milestone in Heuer or TH history, other than the Monaco?


We probably haven't seen everything as yet, but if you were in charge, how would you have celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Monaco?

We now know the anniversary editions but perhaps a memento to all registered Monaco owners, or if this weren’t possible to all owners who could provide a serial number.?


Speaking of the Monaco, what's your take on the square pusher vs round pushers debate?

I personally prefer the square pusher-I’ve broken/lost a button pusher and a crown in the past so I feel the square pushers are more secure to a careless guy like me, would it be too hard for TH to make the two model styles available to buyers, especially in big volume models.



That's a fair question I guess... but then, you could equally argue they should make Aquaracers available with both current and Mercedes hands, where do you draw the line? I guess it would make more sense to do it for the re-issues, like say if they ever made a 'new' Dark Lord, but the 50th Anniversary watches aren't re-issues, so my feeling is they are correctly made with square pushers.

You've already mentioned that you are a little bit clumsy, so dare I ask if you have a watch horror story?

On my first TAG I discovered that the date was out a day, reset it but I hadn’t screwed the crown in properly I my haste, I then washed a car pre-delivery, it was after when looking at my watch later I saw it was steaming up, water ingress, it never dried out properly and did stop, only recently did it get a fresh movement and get back in use, now I make sure my watch is waterproof or in my pocket when water is involved. Less haste, more speed is the motto.


We already know you've owned a Rolex and the Tigger watch, what other brands / watches do you own / appreciate?

Well, in addition to the TH I have a couple of Rado, a MontBlanc, a couple of Seiko, a Disney Tigger, an old Citizen quartz digital someplace, and a gold Bernex that was my stepfather’s 25 year gift from his employer. That’s it I think.


Over the years we've seen Ferrari flit from watch brand to watch brand, but they now seem to have settled with Hublot. Given Hublot's links to TAG Heuer, would you like to see a more affordable Ferrari watch made available, and given the popularity of the red Monaco maybe a variation on that theme?

Ferrari Monaco? No not for me, I’d need to own Ferrari to have a watch named Ferrari, hence no Breitling Bentley in the box, unfortunately, although I’m sure TH could find an alternative red to use as a regular model, Chianti red anyone?


And finally, who would you like to see TAG Heuer partner with as a brand ambassador?

Brand ambassadors, ok but only if they are TH buyers, not just walking adverts, I’m not influenced by celebrity X wearing/using an item into buying it. Stop spending on them and reduce prices, or give me one and I’ll tell anybody who will listen it’s great!


Well Martin, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this interview and I hope maybe we can do it again sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment