Tuesday 7 January 2020

FEATURE: 2019 - Another Crazy Year of Watch Buying!


On January 14th 2019 I published a post called '2018 - My Crazy Year of Watch Buying', and at the end of that post I stated the following:

"Well there we are, my crazy year of watch buying... and even though I've already bought a couple of watches this year, I can't really see 2019 playing out the same way. For a start I've covered a lot of bases now, and if I do buy watches I can see where I might buy one and sell one rather than just keep adding to the numbers. I'm also toying with the idea of saving up and getting myself something decent for my birthday in October, so that might slow me down a bit, but I guess we'll have to wait and see!"

Well, for those of you who've followed my blog over the last twelve months, I think it's more than apparent that 2019 did not go down the way I thought it might.... not at all.


01 & 02. TAG Heuer 2000 Exclusive Quartz Chronograph and TAG Heuer Aquaracer Quartz Chronograph

CN1110.BA0337                              CAF1112.BA0803

January got off to a great start, I traded in my unloved Grand Carrera GMT and walked away with two quartz watches! However, only one of these made it to the end of the year... I sold the CAF1112 on eBay in November because I barely wore it and when I did I couldn't click with it. That cost me a few hundred quid, but it was one of my few bad decisions this year.



03. TAG Heuer 1500 Series Quartz GMT Watch

159.006

I was pretty lucky to find this one on eBay, I'd wanted a 1500 Series for a long time and these GMTs seemed like the ones to get since they were considerably larger than the regular 36/37mm models which can be easily picked up. But obviously that makes them more desirable, so I could hardly believe it when I managed to secure one for just £376!



04. TAG Heuer Formula 1 'Classic' Quartz Chronograph

CA1212-1

This was a bit of a mistake all round, I wasn't overly enthusiastic about it when I bought it and again, this one didn't even make it to the end of the year, but it did help fund my limited edition 'Senna' Formula 1, so it wasn't entirely without purpose...



05. TAG Heuer Formula 1 'Classic' Ladies Quartz Watch

WA1415

My wife decided she wanted a 'classic' Formula 1 watch and after trying on a white dial version at Parkers in Sheffield, which was nice but lacked 'something' she elected to gamble on a green and black model imported from the United States via eBay. I ended up buying it for her birthday and she couldn't have been happier with it. As it happens I've just changed the battery, which was my first go at doing that myself, it all seemed relatively simple so I think I shall be doing that more in the future.



06. TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 Watch

WAY208C.FC6383

I could not believe it when I saw this on the Bicester list, I'd been searching for one of these for so long that I'd pretty much given up on ever being able to see one and I really needed to see one before I committed to buying because I wasn't sure how I felt about that textile strap. Now I love it and even though I got a rubber strap for it, it's still in its packet.



07. TAG Heuer Link 'Searacer' Regatta Chronograph

CT1113.BA0550

Here's one I really lucked out on, having tried to buy it earlier in the year at £995, I eventually got the exact same watch in a sale for half the money. If only that happened more often...!



08. TAG Heuer 2000 Exclusive Quartz Watch

WN1112.BA0332

A very inexpensive watch this one; just £255 secured this from eBay and while the bezel is a little scratched and the crown needs some attention at some point in the future, this watch represents huge bang for buck in my opinion; and that blue dial is gorgeous!



09. TAG Heuer 2000 Series 'Multigraph' Quartz Chronograph

WK111A.BA0331

This was one that had been on my 'wants' list for a very, very long time. This one is a little rough around the edges and has a small chip on the back edge of the case (which you can't see when it's on the wrist), but again I only paid £266, which is on the very low end of what these generally go for. Since I bought it I've put it on the official TAG Heuer rubber strap, which has improved it greatly in my eyes, although I could live without the vanilla scent!



10. TAG Heuer S/EL Ladies Quartz Watch

WG141C

In July I sent my wife a link to the eBay sale for this little beauty and she immediately fell in love with it. So much so that she was willing to pay around £460 for it, but luckily she won it for just £300. When it arrived it firmly convinced me that I really wanted a red dial S/EL too...!



11. TAG Heuer S/EL Quartz Chronograph

CG1110-0

In 2018 I tried to buy a CG1110, but the deal floundered because the glass was scratched and the movement was faulty. On the rebound I bought a two-tone CG1120 instead, but I always knew I wanted to add a CG1110 at some point. The sale didn't go smoothly, and the chronograph needs attention at some point in the future, but at least I have one now.



12. TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Titanium Day/Date Chronograph

CV2A80.FC6256

Not something I was looking for, but a chance visit to Bicester Village turned this one up and I had to get it. This one was part funded by my wife and it became my 50th Birthday watch, I really love this one, especially the luminescent minute markers which look fantastic in the dark. Overall I'd say this is probably my second favourite piece in my collection right now.... the Heuer 01 Skeleton remains number one.



13. TAG Heuer Aquaracer Ladies Diamond Spot Watch

WBD1316.BA0740

My wife turns 50 next year and she decided she wanted one of these, trouble is... no one knows for sure if these will be around next year so I had to stump up for it now! This is a gorgeous watch though, that green dial is really stunning, I just wish the men's version was still available here in the UK!



14. TAG Heuer 'Classic' Aquaracer Quartz Watch

WAB1112.BA0801

A chance encounter with the WAB1112 in a dealer catalogue I bought piqued my interest, but my initial finding seemed to be that these fetched more than they really should (£8-900). Thankfully my persistence paid off and I managed to secure one in absolutely mint condition for less than £600.



15. TAG Heuer Kirium Ladies Quartz Watch

WL1316

This one was a random present for my wife, which I found pretty cheap on eBay. When it arrived it was quite scratched and I spent a little while polishing it up myself, it actually ended up looking rather good and my wife loves it.



16. TAG Heuer Pilot Quartz Chronograph

530.806K

This is one watch I never thought I would get my hands on at a sensible price, but luck seemed to be on my side this year. Or maybe I just learned persistence and patience? Maybe a little of both... I certainly felt like pretty lucky when this one fell in my lap for about half what seems to be the going rate.



17. TAG Heuer S/EL Quartz Watch

WG111C

And this was another one that I managed to get for a lot less money than I was expecting. That's probably because the only other one on eBay was priced so high that it's been on there forever, but even so... red dial watches are nothing if not rare, and this one was in great condition and it fitted right out of the box, it was obviously meant to be!



18. TAG Heuer Formula 1 'Senna' Limited Edition Quartz Watch

WAZ1014.FT8027

Saw this and fell in love with that strap, I quite like the watch too, but the strap is super cool. I really like the silver bezel against the black case too and I prefer the non-chronograph with the stripes. Bit of a bargain and still under warranty until mid 2020!



19. TAG Heuer 3000 Series Quartz Watch

932.206

My final purchase of 2019, and a great one to end on. Been looking for a steel 3000 for a long time now and finally came across one for sale in the UK. I'm a link short, if anyone knows where I can get one please do let me know. Thanks...



Well, there we are... I know what I said last year, but I honestly don't see 2020 being anything like 2018 and 2019 as far as watch buying goes. Not least because I've already scooped up a lot of the 'cheap' watches I wanted, and there aren't so many bargains left for me to go at. So while I might end up spending a similar amount of money overall, it will probably come in the form of less watches... but we'll see. Last year didn't pan out the way I thought it would, so who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment