Wednesday 9 October 2019

BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Chronograph

CV2A80.FC6256

T'was the end of July and with my 50th birthday coming up in less than three months I was all set, my wife had generously offered to buy me the green Aquaracer that was due in September, and I in turn had promised to buy her the same for her 50th next year. But then I visited the TAG Heuer Bicester Village outlet and tried this on. I've never been that fussed about the 'traditional' Carreras, but this one had a whole different vibe about it, with a carbon effect dial, a titanium case and the 'Drive Timer' numerals I've long admired on other models, but in white (so you can actually see them!), result!

I didn't buy it straight away, because even with the 30% discount on offer it was still £3150 (list price £4500), but I did go home and show my wife the photo I had taken and she suggested that if I was really keen she didn't mind if I had the Aquaracer money from her and pay the balance myself. So the next day I rang the shop bright and early and made sure they hadn't sold it between me leaving on Friday night and them closing. Thankfully they still had it, and I asked them to hold onto it for me until Monday evening.


There's always a nervousness when returning to purchase something in these circumstances, what if you go back and it's a huge let down? What if you take a second look and spot something you don't like... or what if it it just doesn't give you that feeling that's required in order for you to put your hand in your pocket and spend huge sums of money on a watch you really don't need.

Thankfully the CV2A80 didn't disappoint at all, if anything I liked it even more the second time and quickly decided the green Aquaracer would have to wait until sometime next year. I mean, notwithstanding the overwhelmingly positive reactions it seems to be getting, I still haven't been able to see one yet so who knows whether it's a winner or not?


Either way, I'm sure I made the right choice plumping for this stunning piece of Swiss horology. I think I would have been gutted if I'd passed up this opportunity for the sake of a relatively easily attainable Aquaracer. But the wait... I bought this at the end of July and I still have a few more days until my 50th birthday. I just want to get it on my wrist and start enjoying the lightweight titanium, the carbon dial, the textile strap and those super legible hands and Arabic numerals. 

The only 'downside', if we can call it that, is that this is my first day/date watch, which just means every time I want to wear it I'll have even more things to fiddle with... to be honest I kinda wish all my mechanical watches were no-date like my Aquagraph, but there we are; first world problems and all that! It's also my first titanium watch since my Breil Ducati got eBay-ed, and despite the hype about titanium being more scratch resistant than stainless steel, in my experience that's completely the opposite of reality, so I guess I'm going to have to 'baby' this one even more than my other watches!

No comments:

Post a Comment