Thursday 9 January 2020

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer 7 Jewels 1/100th Stopwatch

#608.313

You may remember the other day I posted about a 1986 TAG Heuer Stopwatch Catalogue that achieved way more on eBay than I expected it to... and prior to that I had been watching a stopwatch on eBay that was up around the £165 mark which I quite liked, mainly because it had that orange and black 'McLaren 1974 Carrera' kind of look about it. But the truth is, I really have no use for a stopwatch of any kind...


But then I came across this one on an eBay auction and potentially a cheap pick-up. When I started watching it it was around about £55 I think, which is less than that 1986 catalogue went for! On closer inspection the dial was a little bit tarnished, but not terribly so and again for someone who really has no need of a stopwatch, beyond the desire to own a 'TAG Heuer' model, the main attraction was the price.


Clearly the model is from around the time of the change-over since the back still shows a Heuer sticker and while I can't be 100% sure on the exact part number since it is so badly worn, I have looked through that 1986 catalogue on Calibre 11 and it seems to tie up except for the 'TAG Heuer' logo, so I'm going to go with it.


Apart from the mild wear to the dial the stopwatch looked in pretty good shape overall, the listing claimed the piece was 'fully working', although aside from that it was pretty sparse on information. I guess the pictures tell you pretty much all you need to know; after all is said and done, it's a 1/100th second stopwatch!


I watched the auction until it was nearly finished, then with fifteen minutes to go I started writing a post for this blog and forgot about it. Oh dear... I went back to it about twenty five minutes later to discover that someone else had won the auction for a fairly paltry £63, which is still less than that catalogue went for. I must admit I was slightly disappointed, but ultimately it was an item of no practical use to me, so maybe it was for the best... besides, I don't think there is that much demand for these stopwatches and they seem to pop up fairly regularly so I guess I'll be able to get another one sooner or later at a reasonable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment