Tuesday 4 October 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02 'Cortina/Singapore 50th Anniversary' Limited Edition

CBN2043.EB0261

Quite something, this one... perhaps a watch that could be described as 'Marmite'; something that's clearly borne out by the vastly divergent comments from the 'Council of Considered Opinion' below! And I guess it's easy to see why as this watch may not really hit the mark for Western audiences, but since this watch is specifically made for the Singaporean market and particularly for the 50th Anniversary of watch retailer 'Cortina' who are based there perhaps we in the West are not best placed to appraise it?


The watch is based on the 42mm Carrera Elegant and features an 18K yellow gold case, a maw sit sit (also known as jade-albite) dial complete with yellow gold hour markers/hands and sits on a black alligator strap with green stitching and a yellow gold pin buckle (the watch comes with an additional brown strap and is limited to 10 pieces). As usual this chronograph features 100M of water resistance and the in-house Heuer 02 movement provides a power reserve of 80 hours (and lots of loud, rumbly noises).


I'm a bit stumped with this one and that is reflected in my C.O.C.O. score of 5/10. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it and I can think of a thousand other watches I would buy before I slapped down whatever this costs (I'm assuming somewhere north of £15,000?). But like I said, that jade dial is undoubtedly going to inspire delight in some and revulsion in others; but I kind of feel that way about pearls, bloody horrible things.

Anyway, the purpose of the Council is to give honest feedback, unswayed by popular opinion or indeed unpopular opinion... so let's have at it! 



CBN2043.EB0261: 4.9/10


9/10: "I like it. Green jade dial and gold case. What's not to like. 9/10 with 0% chance of getting it though."

7.2/10: "On the plus side we have yellow gold. Yellow gold, the look and experience of ballers who dont mind flexing how baller they are. Negative is the dial and that weird text on the display caseback."

7/10.: "It’s not a watch I can ever see myself buying, but I bet the Jade looks amazing on the wrist."

7/10: "It is a unique yet cohesive design, and the hints of black within the jade dial look great with the black on the hands, subdials, and strap."

6/10: "I don’t like the jade dial, I don’t like the caseback, I don’t like the alligator strap (even with a nice stitching)… and for that price level for sure I would go for an Heuer 02 Tourbillon."

5/10: "Not for me, but maybe it looks better in the metal than the renders."

5/10: "I do like the jade dial but there's just something, which I can't put my finger on, that just doesn't work for me."

4/10: "Not my cup of tea I'm afraid."

4/10: "I suppose Jade is big in Asia, where Cortina Watches is based. But that dial simply ruins an otherwise nice looking watch for me."

3/10: "Mmmm, not a good combo..."

3/10: "That shop seems to be a Singapore-based watch shop. There is some expectation on the dial face, but if it is just a picture, it looks vulgar."

3/10: "No design flow in the render for me."

3/10: "I have decided to only post in a positive manner. This means I will only post about things I like and refrain from commenting about things I don’t like. I don’t know how long I will keep this up. I like the fact that it has a solid golden case."


LINK TO THE CORTINA WEBSITE:

No comments:

Post a Comment