Sunday 9 October 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02 'Porsche 2.7 Edition' Chronographs

 
CBN2016.EB0275                                         CBN2045.FC8316

To say it's been a busy year on the watch release front would be an understatement (more than fifty new watches already this year!) and we're not finished yet. Next up we have not one but two new 'Porsche' branded (and these ones really are branded) Heuer 02 driven Carrera Elegants... though whether you could describe these watches as 'elegant' is a different matter altogether. 

Okay, we'll scratch that part, but these are the smaller 42mm Carreras rather than the 44mm 'Sports' models (these 'Elegant' and 'Sports' labels seem to have fallen by the wayside somewhat) and so more befitting of a retro-vibe appropriate for pieces celebrating 50 years since the launch of the Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 RS.

CBN2016.EB0275

At £6400 the CBN2016 is the more affordable of the two options... but for that you do get both a stainless steel bracelet and a white NATO emblazoned with the 'Carrera' logo rendered in the distinctive Porsche font. If that sounds like a lot, consider that the NATO strap costs around £375 on its own. And no, I'm not joking.... I can't be 100% sure on the UK price but I know for sure it costs $425 in the USA, which seems just a little excessive, honestly.

Bizarrely, and speaking as someone who passionately despises NATO straps at any price, I actually think this watch loses something when it's put on the bracelet. And actually this has provided something of a 'eureka' moment for me, because now perhaps I understand why it is that the current orange Aquaracer doesn't excite me like it should; I think it's because it's on a bracelet rather than a nice black rubber strap. Time for some photoshopping perhaps!


I must admit I am a little torn when it comes to this detailing on the side of the cases of these watches; on the one hand I think it's kind of cool, but on the other.... I think it looks just a little bit tacky. I prefer it on the gold case simply because it is left in relief rather than being painted in. I don't know, I think it's good that TAG are doing something 'more' than just putting a blue and white dial on the watch, but I'm not sure I really love this specific execution, and the blue/red dot on the top pusher I could live without too if I'm being honest.

Initially I thought I liked the blue and silvery white dial version the best, but the more I look at these two the more I'm gravitating to the red and gold. There's something delightfully 1990s about the red strap on this one and I gotta say I kinda like it! 

CBN2045.FC8316

Unfortunately, at £19,550... (no that's not a mistake, this watch is genuinely £450 shy of £20,000), this one is way beyond my means even if it wasn't limited to 250 pieces. I mean, I know prices are rising and the pound is weak, but two years ago the JH88 Carrera was selling for £15,400 which means this model carries a 27% increase. That's a HELL of a jump, but then as someone helpfully pointed out on the THF Forum, the cars these watches are designed to celebrate are valued in the low millions - if you have one you can afford these watches without much too much heartrending!

So perhaps looking at these pieces as 'watches' is not really the right approach, perhaps instead we should be considering them as 'accessories' for rich guys who own seriously expensive Porsches? Not that the Council of Considered Opinion will care one jot either way, let's find out what they have to say...




CBN2016.EB0275 (Blue/Steel - 500PCS): 7.5/10

CBN2045.FC8316 (Red/Gold - 250PCS): 5.9/10


"Aesthetically, I much prefer the blue/white colour scheme to the gold and red. Both a bit expensive for what they are, but it's nice to see something a bit different. I would buy the blue/white but only if I had a Porsche to match or was a mega Porsche enthusiast."

"Pink gold version: a strong 2 (almost a 3). Blue: cool concept worthy of a strong 6."

"Holy Jesus, red and rose gold, yuck! The blue and white doesn't look too bad... but it comes on a tacky NATO."

"7 for the gold. 9 for the steel. This is a proper collaboration watch!"

"I like this a lot. The white and blue work well together and overall the aesthetics of the watch work for me. Negatives would be the Nato strap (minor negative to be fair) and price is a tad too high! As for the other one, it's not terrible. The red white dial does, for me, work with the gold case. However, I'm not sure about the red strap! Maybe too much. Negatives again, the price is way too much! I know its gold but still... For 20 grand my money would go elsewhere unfortunately."

"I prefer the red/gold- price ignored- red is the fastest colour! but not going to be a buyer though."

"I find myself somewhere between dislike and indifference. The white/blue dial is nice, but I do not like the branding on the side of the case whatsoever. As for the red version, it tries to both be elegant and sporty. I don't get the bloated prices, either."

"This could be another case of much better in real life. Both - 7/10."

"The blue is fantastic, this is exactly the sort of Porsche linkage I was hoping for when they announced the collaboration. The nato strap really makes the watch for me, a fun summer watch that doesn’t take itself too seriously. My only complaint is the price, realistically it’s too expensive for me to spend on a novelty TAG. I’m not a fan of the red/gold, the red strap looks awful."

"TAG Heuer went the extra mile on these. Finally, a TAG x Porsche watch that feels like a "Porsche". Not only do we have new dial treatments, but also a very unique case. The Carrera etching on the case side is surprising given the small LE numbers produced. The Blue one is just super cool and its NATO strap is the icing on the cake. I'd score it a perfect 10 if not for its price. The Red one in comparison doesn't look as cool and its rose gold case makes it a non-starter for me price wise. But if looking at only the dial, I like the red gold combo a little more than the blue."

"The Carrera font is cool. Innovative subdials. Two exclusive, fine waches."

"I like the steel/blue version a lot, including the side Carrera branding… as I like these RS “duck tail” 911s a lot… but I don’t like the gold/red version at all, as I don’t see any link between gold and an RS 911… so it’s 8/10 for the steel/blue (price is too high to give it better score) and 4/10 for the gold/red version."

"I like the NATO, it's fun for a special edition and this is exactly what a Porsche edition should be, and should have been from the start. Loses points because the price is too high and the running seconds is still a design liability. I don't think they're going to sell very many of the gold ones though."

"NATOs just look shit and they cheapen whatever watch they are on. It's the extra flappy ends and hardware. Each to their own though!"

"Personally, I like NATO straps. They add a lot of fun to my Omegas and make them look less serious. Initially, I was a bit torn with some design aspects like the Carrera font, but as some of you said, this is what a LE is supposed to do, go all out and be bold on it's uniqueness, in this case Porsche. So, I think this will be a future collectible. I give the blue an 8.5 and the red an 8."

"I like NATOs too, and this one's pretty cool and inspired IMO. It's nice to see the Porsche script on the hardware as well - this is proper LE form."

"Steel is 9/10! Although I’d love to see a white and red version of it. The Gold is just for bling, I don’t see it matching any “Carrera” car. Gets a 7/10. I think there is still more to come..."

"Blue 6/10: Don’t like the 42mm Carrera that much but this is prob the best execution. Cannot get used to those pushers. Etching is a nice touch if not a bit novelty. The white dial should prob have been the matte white of the Siffert. Red 5/10: Red and gold cannot score high points together. The RS was a lightweight no comfort race car. Don’t see the link with an 18kt gold watch. Should’ve had the Heuer badge?"

No comments:

Post a Comment