Tuesday 30 March 2021

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Watch

WAZ101A.FC8305

 A few weeks ago, you may remember, TAG Heuer launched a pair of models which attracted the amusing nicknames 'Tango' and 'Sprite'; these were brightly coloured Formula 1s with orange and lime highlights which I really wanted to like but ultimately knew deep down that I would never own. Something about them seemed a little 'gimmicky' and not necessarily in a good way (unlike for example the camouflage Calibre 5 Aquaracer which is also 'gimmicky' but very cool and memorable).

The recently released WAZ101A 43mm quartz Formula 1 we have here however is a completely different kettle of fish. Clearly drawing on the orange dial Calibre 5 Aquaracer 500M (and the much older 1000 Series Heuer Diver) for influence, the orange and black colour combination is as effective as it is surprisingly underused: indeed, I have had my 'Top 5 Orange Dial TAG Heuer's' post ready for several weeks pending the release of this watch and it was slim pickings I can tell you!


Not only is the dial orange, but it is also textured - which is both good and bad. Good because it adds an extra dimension of interest to the watch face, but bad because it reminds me of that atrociously terrible Bamford basketball Carrera... but hey, let's not dwell on that monstrosity for a moment longer than is absolutely necessary! 

Also this watch eschews the perennially underwhelming BA0842 strap, replacing it instead with a bespoke textile strap (which no doubt will be put on the CAZ101AH 'Fanta' at some point) with orange and grey stitching. I think maybe TAG Heuer have done something quite smart here in that they have made the first two stitches orange and then done the rest of the strap in grey, which should avoid the 'desk facing' stitching turning 'grubby' after a time. They've also given this textile strap a proper brushed steel buckle; thank goodness for that - although I do have some concerns about the steel strap retainers... and it would also look pretty cool on a black rubber Isofrane strap.


The TAG Heuer website tells me that the bezel insert is ceramic, which I am pleasantly surprised by since I rather expected an aluminium bezel here, especially at this price point. I really like the pop of orange in the bezel too, but I'm glad they resisted the temptation to do all the bezel markings in orange, sometimes less is more even when we're trying to be colourful and fun.

The price for this one is £1200, which seems to me to be rather good. When you look at the lower end of the TAG Heuer range the pieces are often a bit, umm... dull. I mean, fine... but, nothing to get really excited about. And okay so this is a quartz three hander, but one that really stands out and I'm sure this is going to sell very well indeed. It really taps into the original Formula 1 concept of being fun and also reasonably affordable. So while I am a little bit on the fence on those strap retainers, overall I'm already quite invested in this one and seriously considering taking the plunge. 

The TAG Heuer website has this one down as an 'Online Exclusive', which I thought meant it wasn't available in the shops and only on the TAG Heuer website, but it seems like that may not be right since Beaverbrooks have it on their website, but you can't actually buy it there (you have to ring them) so does it mean the only place you can buy it online is direct from TAG Heuer (and from AD stores but not AD's websites)? I assume it does... though exactly what the point of that restriction is I'm not too sure? 

Seems to be some uncertainty about the numbers of these available, it seems like it was supposed to be limited to 4000 pieces, but whether that is still the case I have not been able to iron out. It certainly doesn't have 1/4000 on the backplate.

Anyway, let's turn it over to the 'Council Of Considered Opinion' and see if they agree with me?



WAZ101A.FC8305 - 7.1/10

The dial reminds me of a London bus lane (coloured asphalt). But, I really like it!

5.5 = Same score that I gave the yellow CAZ101AG.FC8304 with fabric strap. While I think the watch is refreshing and cool, the texture of the dial & color reminds me of a basketball.

I’ll give it an 8/10. I also like the strap that comes with it. Feels very sporty with a new vibe.

6 out of 10. I dislike a this fabric strap. I want to change to a rubber strap. But if the watch has a rubber strap, the price must be lower.

It seems to remind me the orange diver.

I like it! Although the asphalt texture in orange colour reminds of a basketball...

It doesn't excite me (the F1s rarely do) but nor does it offend. The strap gives it a bit of a different look so it's a 6 out of 10 from me.

9 for me....and I've ordered mine already.

Don’t know that much of the F1, not my favourite collection. I like the case design, hate that it’s 43mm. Dial, hands and tension ring are nice. The numerals in the bezel are a bit much. The crown won’t win design awards and those guards aren’t really protecting anything. How about a meca quartz? I will give this a 6,5.

I like orange, but it's a little bit too much of it for my taste to actually wear it. From the actual collection with orange accents the Bamford AR implemented it in the most elegant way. But it's a cool and fun watch with plenty of roots in the TH lineup.

On further reflection, I am quite amused that the release I have liked the most in the last year is an orange quartz f1.


Look out for my 'Top 5 Orange Dial TAG Heuers' post coming soon.


WAZ101A.FC8305 on the TAG Heuer website:

No comments:

Post a Comment