Saturday 20 March 2021

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Kirium Automatic Chronometer

 
WL5112.BA0701

As you probably know by now, one of these days I would love to get a green dial TAG Heuer watch into the collection, but as we've discussed before there isn't really all that much choice no matter how far back through the catalogue you go. However, I noticed this superb looking Kirium on the Watchfinder website a few weeks ago at a rather reasonable £695 and seriously considered it, but ultimately something stopped me. 

I can't remember what the Watchfinder site claimed (maybe I didn't even look at the details) but I was pretty convinced that this watch was 36mm, which to be honest is one of the main reasons why I hesitated; I do have a 36mm Kirium already and while (on a leather strap) it isn't 'too' small, it's certainly about as small as I would care to go. Well, it seems like I was wrong. It appears that this watch is actually 38mm in diameter and looking on the Watchfinder site again last night of course it has been sold.


Which is super annoying because It really does look in fabulous condition and I know from past experience that everything I have bought from Watchfinder has arrived looking 'top notch', particularly my plum/wine Kirium that I bought in December which looked like it had come directly from the TAG Heuer factory!

The bracelet looks a very decent length too, I believe my Kiriums have eight links on one side and seven on the other (my wrist is about 7.5/8") and this one has nine links on one side and six on the other, so it adds up to the same number of links and could have been switched around to match mine...


How annoying. Still, one doesn't have bottomless pockets and I'm sure the opportunity will come around again. I was going to point to 'Birth Year Watches' who also have a green dial chronometer Kirium, but a quick visit to their website reveals that it is they who have the 36mm version (part no WL5212, the two after the five indicating mid-size). They are asking £599 for their piece which is probably not totally unreasonable (although the condition is not that great to be honest - it has a mark on the glass and quite a short bracelet), but for me it just shows what a superb price the Watchfinder model was. 

People love to criticise Watchfinder's pricing and on some occasions they are totally justified (I have seen some hilarious prices on their site in the past) but I tend to find that at the cheaper end of the market they can be very competitive (when you take condition into account) and they also give a two year warranty on every purchase which is not to be sniffed at.

Ah well, the hunt continues... in the meantime here's a link to the Birth Year Watches model, which also includes a video. Actually the video is rather interesting as it makes me question whether this is the right green dial for me anyway to be honest, it looks rather austere and not at all the 'jewel' green I was really hoping for... but then again there's nothing to say for sure that the green on the WL5212 is exactly the same as the WL5112... you can never assume things like that with TAG Heuer.

No comments:

Post a Comment