Wednesday 24 March 2021

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph

 
CAZ101AC.BA0843

I know what you're thinking... haven't we already had a 'First Impressions' post on this one, not to mention an 'On the Wrist' post too? Well, almost... and while I wouldn't usually feature a watch again just because TAG Heuer put it on a different bracelet, in this instance it seems totally justified.

TAG Heuer have put out some great Formula 1 quartz pieces over the last few years, but more often than not the slight 'let-down' of an otherwise enjoyable watch has been the BA0842 bracelet. There's nothing massively 'wrong' with it (other than a cheap and cheerful pressed clasp which has no place on any watch costing more than £500) but somehow it just doesn't convincingly convey 'luxury product'. Okay, the Formula 1 product range is 'entry level' but it should still feel luxurious to some degree, however our Swedish correspondent Jim Dollares reported a considerable improvement in the overall feeling of quality when he took his CAZ1018 Red Bull Formula 1 quartz chronograph off the original steel bracelet and put it on a relatively inexpensive aftermarket textile strap, and that just can't be right, can it?


TAG Heuer have a bit of a history of mixing up their bracelet choices when it comes to the Formula 1 chronograph, although until now they've usually reserved the ceramic middle link bracelets for the pricier automatic Calibre 16 pieces. I must admit I was quite surprised to see that they had given the CAZ101AC this treatment, but if these pictures are anything to go by I can't help thinking perhaps they should have gone down this route from the start.

Unfortunately, I can't say for sure, but I suspect even this new bracelet will have the same tinny, rattly clasp, but at least the overall look is a dramatic improvement. You may remember from my 'On the Wrist' post that I favoured the rubber strap option (which has an old fashioned pin and buckle fastening), but I actually got lumbered with trying it on the original bracelet instead... it certainly didn't help the watch's cause, to me full yellow dial or strongly yellow accented watches on steel bracelets always look a bit off somehow and this one was no different.


Unfortunately for reasons best known to TAG Heuer themselves this new and improved combination is an 'online exclusive' so we won't be seeing this in the shop windows and boutiques so that we can get a proper look at it, which is a shame as I feel this bracelet might re-invigorate my interest in this watch that slightly let me down on our first acquaintance. 

I don't own any watches with ceramic links myself, but my wife has one of the original 2014 ladies ceramic F1s and every time I pick that up I am super impressed with the feeling of luxury it conveys and I reckon it would work equally well here too. I think the black ceramic also complements the black/grey 'carbon pattern' dial in a similar way to the black rubber strap on the 2020 release and plays off the yellow highlights too (you may remember that I have my yellow dial Aquaracer Calibre S on a black rubber strap for this very reason, even though I originally purchased it on the steel bracelet).


So it's a big thumbs up from me, based on these photographs at least, but.... before you rush to the TAG Heuer website to place your orders, there is just one little fly in the ointment and that, unfortunately, is the price. The standard CAZ101AC on the original steel BA0842 bracelet (still available incidentally) comes in at £1650, whereas this one ups that to £1900. Is it worth an extra £250 for those ceramic midlinks? I'm not sure, but I know I definitely wouldn't buy it on the steel bracelet and for me this looks like a massive improvement, so on that basis maybe in this instance it is...?

TAG Heuer CAZ101AC.BA0843 Ceramic Bracelet Online Exclusive (£1900)

TAG Heuer CAZ101AC.BA0842 Steel Bracelet (£1650)

TAG Heuer CAZ101AC.FT8024 Black Rubber Strap (£1550)

No comments:

Post a Comment