Sunday 14 March 2021

BUYING EXPERIENCE: Four More TAG Heuer Catalogues / Leaflets

 


A few weeks ago I came across several TAG Heuer catalogues and leaflets that I'd never seen on eBay before. These were all being offered by the same seller (separately) and comprised the 1999 Searacer leaflet, a 'New' 2000 Series catalogue, an Alter Ego catalogue and a leaflet for the Kirium. The prices were quite high for what they were (some are merely foldouts rather than actual catalogues), but then I suppose these were quite unusual and also in exceptional condition. 


The seller was accepting offers so I submitted mine for all four at once, reasoning that the seller was likely to jump at the opportunity to sell everything together. My strategy worked and within a few hours my bids were accepted, saving me a total of £20 IIRC. 


The seller despatched the items very quickly and they also came very well wrapped; each item was in a separate bag and also wrapped in protective foam, the envelope also had a stiff back and a large 'please do not bend' sticker on it. I certainly had nothing to complain about with the packaging, nor the items inside come to that!


All the leaflets/catalogues were in incredible condition, the leaflets in particular look like they've never been opened, and I could not be happier with my purchase. I was going to scan these for David at Calibre 11 but I notice that he already has all four up on his catalogue page. Rather than take pictures of all these new catalogues I have left links at the bottom of this post for each one so that you can browse through them properly.


The 2000 Searacer leaflet in particular caught my eye, I had forgotten that it was also available on a textile strap (FC8117) and I wasn't aware that it was also available with a pouch containing a red velcro strap (and a strap changing tool) for use with a wetsuit either (catalogue number: ER0002). I've always liked this particular watch but the thought of the 2000 bracelet clasp always put me off (my 2000 Multigraph is on a rubber strap, the bracelet is in a drawer - horrible thing), so I made enquiries as to whether this textile strap was still available, but unfortunately not. I am searching for an alternative; hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult something similar... probably a lot easier than finding the watch at a reasonable price anyway! 



1999 'ALTER EGO' CATALOGUE*:



1999 'SEARACER' LEAFLET:



1997 'KIRIUM' LEAFLET:



1998 '2000 SERIES' CATALOGUE:


*NB: On closer inspection, it turns out that the '1999 Alter Ego' catalogue listed on Calibre 11 is for a different world 'region' than mine and is actually much shorter, with far fewer watches shown and different ambassador pictures. Indeed my copy features two Alter Egos I had never come across before - which I have since added to my previously published 'History of the Alter Ego' post! 

And while we are on the subject, yes, the photo of Kristen Scott Thomas on the cover of this catalogue really is that out of focus! I'm guessing it's supposed to look 'edgy' or something? It's also worth pointing out that her enormous hand looks like a facehugger; I'm sure that wasn't in the brief from TAG Heuer! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment