Wednesday 10 March 2021

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer 6000 Series Quartz Watch

 
WH1151

Recently I posted about the automatic, white dial 'S/EL Leather' WI2110 that I purchased from a Japanese eBay seller called 'Spirit*Age'.... while I was waiting for that piece to arrive my eye was also caught by this rather nifty looking quartz 6000 Series on a green strap. In fact so taken was I that I was weighing up how much I was prepared to bid when the auction came to an end; at least until the white WI2110 arrived and I realised that despite the gold elements there was more than a passing resemblance between the two and not only that but what was really grabbing me was the cool looking strap...

Not that I don't like the watch itself, it's a nice looking watch, but if it was on a bracelet I really don't think it would have caught my eye in quite the same way. So maybe the answer would be to get one of these straps for a 6000 Series that I already own? Well maybe...


Except, you can't. Well you can, but it won't look quite like this... believe it or not, this strap is actually blue. I know it looks green, but it isn't. Or at least it wasn't. It's green now for sure, but as you can see from the picture below, it started life a completely different colour and the green strap you can buy for the 6000 Series isn't this green, it's darker. Which may be a good thing, but it's not what caught my eye. Which is disappointing...

But then this strap looks a bit of a mess on closer inspection, with some blue patches remaining and some noticeable wear to the edges. It's a real pity because yet again this watch represents good value for money. It's a full size men's watch and the starting bid (which from my experience is most likely what this will sell for) is £337.21 (plus £25 or so carriage depending on where in the world you live).


But as much as I am tempted I really must resist, I've already bought five watches this year (admittedly not all of them were for me) and it's only early March! As it is I'm trying not to think about the minty looking blue and red classic Formula 1 that Birth Year Watches put up recently for £299... 


For the prospective purchaser though there are a plethora of straps to choose from for this 6000 Series;

BC0645: Brown leather strap with a satin steel clasp/buckle
BC0649: Black leather strap with a polished plated clasp/buckle
BC0650: Brown leather strap with a polished plated clasp/buckle
BC0651: Dark green leather strap with a polished plated steel clasp/buckle
BC0652: Red leather strap with a polished plated steel clasp/buckle
BC0653: Dark blue leather strap with a polished plated steel clasp/buckle
BC0678: Light brown leather strap with a polished plated steel clasp/buckle
BC0683: Green leather strap with a satin steel clasp/buckle
BC0684: Blue leather strap with a polished plated steel clasp/buckle
BC6038: Black alligator strap with a folding clasp
BC6039: Dark brown alligator strap with a folding clasp
BC6040: Navy blue alligator strap with a folding clasp
BC6041: Green alligator strap with a folding clasp
BC6042: Black leather strap with a folding clasp
BC6043: Brown leather strap with a folding clasp
BC6044: Green leather strap with a folding clasp
BC6047: Brown leather strap with a folding clasp
BC6163: Red leather strap with a folding clasp
BC6165: Green leather strap with a folding clasp

(Thanks to Tom at Bicester Village for this information)

I don't know what the difference is between BC6165 and BC6044 mind you, maybe they are different shades of green? In the instance Google images has failed me! And it's interesting to note that there isn't actually a mid-blue strap available for the clasp that comes with the WH1151, so you'd have to go for a different colour anyway.

All these straps are so damned tempting, and all would look great on my silver dial chrono 6000 Series I'm sure. And since I know all the full size 6000 Series watches carry the same bracelet it's pretty safe to assume these straps will fit an men's 6000 you happen to own, although I am a bit perplexed as to 'how' since it appears that the straps have screw holes in the end... am I to assume that underneath my bracelet there are screws in the case or do I need some sort of end link?

Here's the link to the eBay listing:

No comments:

Post a Comment