Wednesday 18 April 2018

SPOTLIGHT ON: TAG Heuer Formula One Chronotimer

CAC111D.BA0850

For some reason I do find the TAG Heuer digital/analogue watches endlessly appealing, it started with the F1 Kirium of course and then I probably would have bought a 2000 Series Multigraph if only it wasn't quite so small in diameter. It's a real shame because I do think that watch is really rather gorgeous, but having sold my own 2000 Series because it was just a shade too small I would really hesitate, but then again, maybe if I saw one...

2000 Series Multigraph

So the next best thing is the CAC111D Formula One which, it must be said, isn't quite the same when it comes to looks... but it is a few millimeters bigger and chunkier so it won't look so damned silly on my big 7.3/4" wrist.

I think it's a watch I could come to love though. It's got a kind of brutish charm to it, where the Multigraph looks svelte, sexy and stylish, the Formula One looks a bit more rustic.. but I still really like that deep black dial. And yeah, dial wise aesthetically it is a lot like my Kirium, albeit with a different movement, but it's also a bit of a bargain on the second hand market. I've seen decent examples going for £400, which seems like a bit of a steal to me.


I'd really love to get myself one, but I'm kinda holding out for a CAV511A Grand Carrera now, but after that, it's something I would definitely consider if the price and condition was right. I must admit, I'm not overly keen on those oversized crown guards, I don't really see why they need to extend all the way to the lugs, when they could have been shorter like on my WAH1110 Formula One, but as long as they are intact, they wouldn't be a deal breaker. Intact is important though, because I remember someone on the Calibre11 forum talking about these and saying they are part of the case, so not available as spare parts. If that's correct, then I think that's a bit poor on TAG's part, because if you put some bits of plastic on the side of a steel case to act as 'bumpers' it's not beyond reason that they would get damaged.

Matter of fact I'm not crazy about the black plastic insert on the other side of the watch either, so maybe talk of getting one of these is a little hasty... I guess I could always try a Multigraph, maybe?


No comments:

Post a Comment