Monday 23 September 2019

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 (Green Dial)

WAY2015.BA0927

A couple of days ago I sat down and attacked the mess that was my blog. Behind the scenes were piles of disorganised posts, some merely ideas, some half started, some half finished, and all in a complete jumble. It took me a good couple of hours but now everything has been organised properly and I know which posts I need to work on first and which can be done later. In the process I found posts that I thought I'd actually completed and posted, and in this particular case which needed rewriting from scratch.

So here we are.... 


I've been aware of the new greeen dial Aquaracer since the start of June, when A Blog to Watch leaked this image on their 'Instagram Stories' (whatever that is). I only found out about it because it was reposted to the Calibre 11 forum and subsequent attempts to find the original post came to nothing (something about Instagram 'stories' only stay up for a few hours/days... I don't know, what is this obsession with impermanence these days, it's like everybody clicking on Hodinkee six times a day in case they release a limited edition Omega Speedmaster and oh no, you missed it because all 500 pieces sold in 13 seconds). ARGH!

Anyway, because some of us have scruples, I enquired with TAG about this and was told it wasn't out until September, so I sat on it and then... well, I certainly didn't forget about it, because it's very much at the forefront of my mind (more of which later), but I started the post and then forgot that I hadn't finished and posted it. Not at all the same thing... 


Admittedly I haven't seen this new Aquaracer in the flesh yet, and there is of course the potential for disappointment. But going off the pictures I really want one of these, indeed until the end of July I was planning on having one for my 50th birthday next month, but then a 'too good to miss' Carrera turned up a Bicester village and that threw everything up in the air (and that's another story I've neglected to post!), so now I have to save for this myself.

You may remember a little while back I did a post about green dial watches and at the end I said there were two green dial TAG Heuer's on the way, well this is one of them and there's still no sign of the other one; but I know this is the green dial TAG that I want, and if the green is as vivid as it looks in these pictures, then I'm not sure I'm going to be able to wait for the saving to bear fruit!


I honestly think this is a great move from TAG Heuer, green dials are the flavour of the month anyway, but even if they weren't surely this will shift some serious units. Blue is fine, but dark blue Aquaracers are ten a penny, this is definitely the one to show a little individualism (at least until green becomes ubiquitous I suppose), and as it happens my wife feels the same way.

Fortunately for her, TAG Heuer have also launched a ladies version of the watch, albeit only one model and with a quartz movement and diamond hour markers. My wife was disappointed that the ladies model doesn't have the slatted dial, but she got over it because: diamonds.

WBD1316.BA0740

So not only do I have to save for my own green Aquaracer, but now she wants this for her 50th too! Still I can't really grumble since she has enabled me with a superb titanium Carrera, which, as I said, will be posted about soon. 

Price wise, both watches are showing on the TAG Heuer website at £1750, and both are in stock in the Oxford Street boutique right now, it's a pity I won't be going to London for a few weeks yet, but maybe they'll start appearing more locally in the meantime and I can get an 'On the Wrist' post up and running.

2 comments: