Friday 28 January 2022

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 'Naomi Osaka' Limited Edition

WBP231E.EB0247

You may remember when I reviewed the 'Ibiza' Limited Edition Aquaracer 300M Professional a little while back that I said that there are two kinds of 'Limited Editions'. Well this is the other kind; featuring a unique to this model dial colour, a never seen before green rubber strap and a bespoke to this model backplate.  

If I'm honest I can't say that I pay much attention to tennis, and it seems like only about eighteen months ago that I first heard the name Naomi Osaka. But still, aged just 24 she has been incredibly successful in her field amassing four grand slam singles titles and currently ranked thirteenth in the world. Naomi is also a global brand ambassador for TAG Heuer and now we see the first 'Naomi Osaka' limited edition Aquaracer. 


Naomi is reportedly very keen on wearing bright colours and her signature timepiece certainly reflects that side of her personality. The wave patterned dial is reminiscent of mint ice cream and is studded with eight 1.4mm VS diamonds for hour markers, making this 36mm Calibre 5 watch eye catching and summery (odd then that it is released in January).

I'm not quite so enamoured of the lime green lume dotted around the minute track to be honest, but realistically those are probably less than 0.5mm square so probably not a 'deal breaker'...


As mentioned previously the watch has a unique, engraved backplate featuring Naomi's own logo as copyrighted for use on cosmetic products including... non-medicated hair care preparations, namely, shampoo, conditioner; cosmetic facial preparations; cosmetic preparations for skincare; sunblock lotion; tanning lotion and nail care preparations. 

At least that's what it says on the copyright application I found here. https://uspto.report/TM/88777650


The TAG Heuer WBP231E.EB0247 Aquaracer is limited to 250 pieces and comes in it's own specially finished box, including a green stitched travel pouch and a secondary strap (hence the EB number). This is a two tone green 'NATO' which is made from recycled (and recyclable) fishing net material.

The watch is priced at £3250, which is a premium of about £500 over the regular 36mm diamond dial Aquaracers.



As ever, it's time to find out what the Council has to say about this new addition to the line-up...


WBP231E.EB0247: 6.3/10

"Reminds me of Green Tea ice-cream. Obviously this is a daring choice, but I think it will be popular with women. I'd say 8."

"I like it. The green is fresh and engaging. Love the Aquaracer bezel design in general and am I right in saying that the TH logo and Aquaracer text is floating on a glass plate above the actual watch face.
There seems to be a reflection on the close up image attached here, which I like.I give it an 8/10....if I wore a skirt, maybe 9/10. The Wokism of the addition of a spare strap made from 100% recycled and recyclable fishing nets leaves me cold. I could imagine the output needed to achieve such a product would out way the benefit 10 fold."

"On the wrist, it doesn't look too bad, but I'm just not sure the different greens - dark green on the strap, the mint green dial, and the lime green lume - all work together. I like the fact they've put a unique strap on it. But another Calibre 5 Aquaracer, and in a mid-size for $4k - I just can't see the value I'm afraid. 4/10."

"Getting tired of all these green watches and I'm not a huge fan of the current Aquaracer, but I'll give it a 6.5 because something about it "pops". The bear & flower on the case back is interesting, but I have no idea what it means."

"I kinda like it. These ARs look a lot better at 36mm anyway. Sporty chic. Watermelon sugar high.
7/10. My son has a 2020 US Open tennis ball signed by Osaka, the year she won the tournament. So maybe an extra 0,5 point."

"6/10 - I'll give it the same score I gave to the other ladies Aquaracers. Diamonds aren't a great choice when many women watch enthusiasts would prefer their dive watch to be a bit more rugged, plus the many men who would be interested in a 36mm diver."

"It’s difficult for me to score ladies watches, because I have probably different tastes than some women… for instance I don’t like diamonds on the dial (or anywhere on the watch), but it seems Naomi likes them… so it’s a 6/10 for me. Not bad, but I would not buy it for me."

"7/10 for me, looks fresh and I love the 844 clasp which this has (a version of) also. Assume the net strap isn’t included with the UK - but, assuming it’s the same process as Panerai (imagine they’ve both subbed the production out) it’s actually eco friendly - just pretty uncomfortable for about the first 100 wears!"

"Got interested in the caseback logo. It’s Naomi’s logo with a bear holding a flower (or a flower-like tennis racket) Naomi is known to voice out her advocacies. Green being the colour of nature with recyclable materials used for her LE. Also the dial seems to match the colour of the tennis ball which is quite appealing. It has a fresh & sporty vibe into it. I think even if you are not a Naomi Osaka fan, this watch may still resonate on you. It is an 8 for me."

"3/10. I quite like the face, not a fan of the strap and VERY expensive."

"I think i would give this 8 out of 10. It's not for me but I quite like it to be honest. The jade dial is quite nicely done and the diamonds add a nice extra luxury touch. Also like the luminous green markers, all works. Honestly though, not sure about the strap colour. It works, but for me it's the watches only downside; I don't mind it but I would like a different shade of green I suppose. I don't know. But the watch itself is nice! Not a massive fan of Naomi Osaka but I think I would buy this."

"Got herself’s opinion too since it does seem to be more of a ladies watch. It’s a bit of a colour palette mix, too many greens, don’t really like the missing lume at 6 either, the adjustment on the clasp is good though, there’s a lot at it’s price point, even more s/hand, so 4/10 might be mean but it just hasn’t got the Wow appeal."

And finally, from the Swedish jury... 

"So about the new Aquaracer. I really hate basketball. The ambassador I have never heard of. And the size of 36mm is way too small. The diamonds look out of place and there are not enough different shades of green. Would look way better on a mesh."

No comments:

Post a Comment