Saturday 30 April 2022

BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Formula 1 Classic 'Green' Lume Dial Quartz Watch

 
372.513

I was already way behind with my posting before Watches & Wonders dropped six new TAG Heuers on us, and so posting about this when I actually bought it way back in December 2021 feels kinda strange... but there we are. I've also got another two 'Buying Experience' posts to do, and by the time this actually gets posted potentially three (if things go to plan)!

So you may remember that I picked up a black bezel, full lume dial classic Formula 1 last year (from my favourite Japanese seller Spirit*Age) but I always wanted the green one really, and it was hard to find in good condition and at a reasonable price. This one eventually showed up in great condition, but was the price reasonable? Well yeah, it wasn't too bad...


I paid £215 for this one, but on arrival I had to send it to my local watchmaker because it seems that in transit the hour hand had shifted on the spigot and so when the minute hand was pointing at the hour the hour hand was pointing to about quarter past the hour. I looked back at the photos on the seller's listing but they looked fine there, so I must conclude that it was the journey that did it. 

The seller offered to take the watch back, but knowing the prices I had seen this one go for in this condition I was reluctant to do this, I only really approached the seller to see if they would bung me a few quid for my trouble... but alas no. So it went away and that cost me another £50, which I guess £265 is still an okay price for one of these, I've seen much worse examples going for way more money so I can't be too upset.


The lume dial is okay, but not as strong as the black bezel version I have. But I'm not too concerned about this really as this has way more wrist presence during the daytime. I really like the combination of green, steel and creamy lume dial and the red touches on the bezel look fantastic too. Frankly the black bezel version looks a little bit pedestrian in comparison, but it's still a nice watch.

That said, I've recently started to question my long held intention to collect the complete set of classic three-hand Formula 1s. I think there's maybe another four or five I don't have, but I already have two or three that I am not so bothered about and I am seriously considering moving some of them on.


On the other hand I don't want to rush into doing anything that I might regret later, so I'm going to give it some more thought before I commit to selling. But I certainly won't be selling this one, it's definitely one of my favourite classic Formula 1s. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello. Just discovered you blog.
    I just found a F1 vintage.
    Green bezel, white face, steel strap but... red dial.
    I've been looking online but this is the first time I see these color combination. could it be fake? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, what do you mean by red dial? Do you mean a red ring around the dial? And when you say white dial is it white or cream like the one above? My guess is that the watch is made of parts of different F1s, this is not uncommon, in fact my wife has a lume dial/red stripe, but instead of a black bezel it has the green one. Looks pretty cool actually....
      Rob

      Delete